Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Self-teaching A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science - confused watch

ReputationRep:
    So I want to self-teach myself A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science during my time at university starting this September so that I can unroll unto a MSc Computer Science (conversion) degree at UCL. For now I'm not worried about the difficulty of doing all of this.

But I'm just confused as to what the A-Level reforms are. If I were to start self-teaching from September 2016, do I still do the AS exams in summer 2017 and A2 exams in summer 2018? I was told during sixth form that AS doesn't count towards A2 anymore so do I just do A Level exams in the summer of 2018?

Also what are the most straightforward/easiest exam boards to do A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science in?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orphan_black)
    So I want to self-teach myself A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science during my time at university starting this September so that I can unroll unto a MSc Computer Science (conversion) degree at UCL. For now I'm not worried about the difficulty of doing all of this.

But I'm just confused as to what the A-Level reforms are. If I were to start self-teaching from September 2016, do I still do the AS exams in summer 2017 and A2 exams in summer 2018? I was told during sixth form that AS doesn't count towards A2 anymore so do I just do A Level exams in the summer of 2018?

Also what are the most straightforward/easiest exam boards to do A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science in?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
    Nobody will know which board's going to be hardest for either subject since the first examinations for the new spec will be this summer. However, according to the current one, MEI is considered the hardest, and Edexcel the easiest. But don't be fooled, every board will prove difficult! I'd certainly go for Edexcel however, as that is the one most schools choose, thus its the one you'll find most resources for; since you're self-teaching, those resources are key. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordoftheties)
    Nobody will know which board's going to be hardest for either subject since the first examinations for the new spec will be this summer. However, according to the current one, MEI is considered the hardest, and Edexcel the easiest. But don't be fooled, every board will prove difficult! I'd certainly go for Edexcel however, as that is the one most schools choose, thus its the one you'll find most resources for; since you're self-teaching, those resources are key. Good Luck
    Thanks a ton! I'm going with AQA since their reform timetable makes sense. I also read that I can't do Computer Science as a private candidate so I'll do Economics for the 2017 exam session and Maths for the 2019 exam session:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/li...INE-ALEVEL.PDF

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.