Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have been given medication for dealing with some form of psychosis (i hear voices and sometimes see strange things) and im waiting for a proper diagnosis but wont see my care coordinator (is that who diagnoses people?) for about 2 weeks as they say he has just gone on holiday and wont be back until then. i have had daily meetings with an intensive home treatment team for nearly 3 weeks and one meeting with an early intervention in psychosis team who i am guessing i will be seeing more of when the care coordinator steps in.

the medication has helped to an extent but hasnt completelely stopped them. a person from the home treatment team recommended using the five senses to bring me back to reality but i find that i might becoming tolerant to them if that makes sense? i was using music and splashing cold water on my face among others but the time between doing that and symptoms coming back is getting shorter. i wondered if anyone might have any or do anything a little outside the box that i could try for myself that has worked for them.

thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lettherebedrums)
    i have been given medication for dealing with some form of psychosis (i hear voices and sometimes see strange things) and im waiting for a proper diagnosis but wont see my care coordinator (is that who diagnoses people?) for about 2 weeks as they say he has just gone on holiday and wont be back until then. i have had daily meetings with an intensive home treatment team for nearly 3 weeks and one meeting with an early intervention in psychosis team who i am guessing i will be seeing more of when the care coordinator steps in.

the medication has helped to an extent but hasnt completelely stopped them. a person from the home treatment team recommended using the five senses to bring me back to reality but i find that i might becoming tolerant to them if that makes sense? i was using music and splashing cold water on my face among others but the time between doing that and symptoms coming back is getting shorter. i wondered if anyone might have any or do anything a little outside the box that i could try for myself that has worked for them.

thanks
    Google grounding, there should be some good ways there hopefully! I find I respond best to touching stuff, like I have a fluffy blanket that's really good if I rub that against my face a bit (yeah I sound about five but whatever, it works :lol:). Also things that need more than one sense, like clapping is quite good as I can see and hear and feel it if I concentrate hard enough. Also something like drawing, just lines on a piece of paper but if I focus on the line coming out of the pen as my hand moves that can help a bit. None of them work completely and I don't have psychosis but worth a try anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.