Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, what is the social side of doing a postgraduate degree like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What's it like making friends? I understand that postgraduate education is very time consuming, but is it possible to go for drinks once in a while and just have something of a social life with people on your course?

Also, how many people were on your courses? Were they busy, or was it only a handful of students?

ReputationRep:
    First important point - it isnt a 'course', its your own research. If you are doing STEM its likely you will have some 'classes' or at least a large group of PHD-ers, but for Humanities & Soc Sci often the only time you walk into the Dept will be for your (too rare) supervisions. Many Unis dont now give PhDs their own desk space so they dont have anywhere to 'be' at Uni and this increases the isolation. This has a big impact on your possibilities for 'making friends'. Also given that many PhD students are older, have families etc, the 'lets all go out on the raz' possibilities are more limited.

You have to work at it - it doesnt all fall into place in the way it does at ug level by just being together for classes etc. So get email/mobile numbers for anyone you meet in the first week that you like (your chances of seeing them again regularly are unlikely) and get together for coffee etc regularly. You will need their 'me too' type reassurance/support.

ReputationRep:
    Non-existent in the course, you don't meet other people doing the same one. Nothing stopping you making friends in the uni societies and outside of uni though.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by songforclay90)
    What's it like making friends? I understand that postgraduate education is very time consuming, but is it possible to go for drinks once in a while and just have something of a social life with people on your course?

Also, how many people were on your courses? Were they busy, or was it only a handful of students?
    Perfectly normal! Why does nearly everyone on TSR pretend doing a PG degree is some form of indentured labour? You will never be in more control of your life and the work/effort you put in to getting your degree. It requires no special effort (other perhaps than financial), it is less managed by others than your school days were and it is less constrained by others than employment will be. You will have more time for a social life than at any other point in your life. Just go an enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Perfectly normal! Why does nearly everyone on TSR pretend doing a PG degree is some form of indentured labour? You will never be in more control of your life and the work/effort you put in to getting your degree. It requires no special effort (other perhaps than financial), it is less managed by others than your school days were and it is less constrained by others than employment will be. You will have more time for a social life than at any other point in your life. Just go an enjoy it!
    Granted I was no longer on 24x7 callout during my Masters, but I did find it equally as draining as my full-time job had been. Just in a different way. I had less time for a social life. Constraints came in the form of coursework pile-ups (seven deadlines in eight weeks in the second semester).

I think an experience of a Masters is a very individual thing. It depends on the course, how it's taught, how easy/difficult you find it to study more independently, what life experiences you have to compare it to, etc. if you're going straight through the school-undergrad-Masters route, then for many people, the Masters will be your most intense period of concentrated study yet and it might take some time to adjust.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your course and personality I guess. I found postgraduate (psychology) no harder nor more time-consuming than undergrad, apart from having to commute to a different city. I don't do any extra reading and do the minimum amount of work to pass with a Merit grade. But I am not really a university or social person and so made no attempt to make friends with people on my course or hang around with them. But loads of people on my course went and go out together for nights out but they don't do it very often.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.