Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've lived in a non-muslim area all my life, but have muslim friends I made from mosque growing up. At school I had enough non-muslim friends as a child, but growing up we drifted apart as they got into drinking and dating etc and we no longer had much in common. I do have two non-muslim friends I made when I was younger, and want to make more (as much as I love Islam, I like to not talk about religion all the time and it's great to be able to talk about pop culture and other stuff with people / be able to say stuff without being haram policed). I do however feel whenever people find out I'm muslim and don't drink or go clubbing, they distance themselves from me. (I'm not a hijabi so it's not obv I'm muslim). It seems like most convo revolves around "does he like me?" / going out getting drunk and I can't relate to that... :/

I can relate to you, I've also grown up in a non Muslim area, but never became good friends with anyone at mosque(was a Bengali mosque but I am not Bangali) , so all my friends are non Muslims, I have began to drift away from Muslim belief a bit so do hang around with my friends but still don't drink etc. I think you need to just be yourself despite having non-Muslim friends you can still talk to them about other things and don't be afraid to do so.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I can relate to you, I've also grown up in a non Muslim area, but never became good friends with anyone at mosque(was a Bengali mosque but I am not Bangali) , so all my friends are non Muslims, I have began to drift away from Muslim belief a bit so do hang around with my friends but still don't drink etc. I think you need to just be yourself despite having non-Muslim friends you can still talk to them about other things and don't be afraid to do so.
    I mean I have more muslim friends than non-muslim friends. I find non-muslims tend to see me as "different" because I don't drink before getting a chance to know me.
    That's quite interesting that you have an opposite experience to me tho.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have quite a few non muslim friends, it doesnt bother me tbh considering half my family are non muslims and i dont find it hard to approach them and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of mine are non muslim. I have quite a few that are muslim that ive known pretty much all my life but tbh i prefer to hang around with non muslims as there's less drama. Doesnt mean my character changes in any way

ReputationRep:
    Those people who drift away from you after they find out about your religion aren't worth it. Because in a person, you shouldn't judge them based on their religion but their personality. So those who drift away from you obviously have something against Islam, so just be proud your a Muslim. Or why don't you begin conversations about different things so that they're not only talking about clubbing/going out/ drinking?

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm studying in an international school (I am from Indonesia), I have lots of non-muslim friends and the majority are Christians. Non-Muslim students in my school do not consider Muslims different from them and they are friendly to one another

ReputationRep:
    half of my friends aren't Muslim/ Religious at all and we've never had problems...

I went to a Catholic secondary so basically all of my friends were non Muslim. It's totally fine, we might not be of the same faith but they are still my good friends regardless.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 26, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.