Muslim girls, do you have many non-muslim friends?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've lived in a non-muslim area all my life, but have muslim friends I made from mosque growing up. At school I had enough non-muslim friends as a child, but growing up we drifted apart as they got into drinking and dating etc and we no longer had much in common. I do have two non-muslim friends I made when I was younger, and want to make more (as much as I love Islam, I like to not talk about religion all the time and it's great to be able to talk about pop culture and other stuff with people / be able to say stuff without being haram policed). I do however feel whenever people find out I'm muslim and don't drink or go clubbing, they distance themselves from me. (I'm not a hijabi so it's not obv I'm muslim). It seems like most convo revolves around "does he like me?" / going out getting drunk and I can't relate to that... :/
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
I can relate to you, I've also grown up in a non Muslim area, but never became good friends with anyone at mosque(was a Bengali mosque but I am not Bangali) , so all my friends are non Muslims, I have began to drift away from Muslim belief a bit so do hang around with my friends but still don't drink etc. I think you need to just be yourself despite having non-Muslim friends you can still talk to them about other things and don't be afraid to do so.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can relate to you, I've also grown up in a non Muslim area, but never became good friends with anyone at mosque(was a Bengali mosque but I am not Bangali) , so all my friends are non Muslims, I have began to drift away from Muslim belief a bit so do hang around with my friends but still don't drink etc. I think you need to just be yourself despite having non-Muslim friends you can still talk to them about other things and don't be afraid to do so.
I mean I have more muslim friends than non-muslim friends. I find non-muslims tend to see me as "different" because I don't drink before getting a chance to know me.
That's quite interesting that you have an opposite experience to me tho.
mkap
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah i have quite a few non muslim friends, it doesnt bother me tbh considering half my family are non muslims and i dont find it hard to approach them and stuff.
atiyaaloveszaynx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The majority of mine are non muslim. I have quite a few that are muslim that ive known pretty much all my life but tbh i prefer to hang around with non muslims as there's less drama. Doesnt mean my character changes in any way
m.zed28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those people who drift away from you after they find out about your religion aren't worth it. Because in a person, you shouldn't judge them based on their religion but their personality. So those who drift away from you obviously have something against Islam, so just be proud your a Muslim. Or why don't you begin conversations about different things so that they're not only talking about clubbing/going out/ drinking?
calistagvi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since I'm studying in an international school (I am from Indonesia), I have lots of non-muslim friends and the majority are Christians. Non-Muslim students in my school do not consider Muslims different from them and they are friendly to one another
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
half of my friends aren't Muslim/ Religious at all and we've never had problems...
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
I went to a Catholic secondary so basically all of my friends were non Muslim. It's totally fine, we might not be of the same faith but they are still my good friends regardless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (440)
56.27%
I don't have everything I need (342)
43.73%

Watched Threads