Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Just when you guys thought no one would possibly start one of these damn threads any earlier in the year.

MY TIME NOW *****ES!

*Update by Princepieman - 16/09/2016*

Online Tests and Providers:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lazard - Numerical (SHL), Verbal
    Citi - Numerical (TalentQ)
    Morgan Stanley - Numerical (SHL)
    for S&T: Numerical + Logical.
    Deutsche Bank - Numerical (SHL)
    JP Morgan - no tests
    BAML - SJT
    Barclays - Untimed Business Challenge (mix of SJT/Numerical)
    Credit Suisse - Numerical (Kenexa), Verbal
    UBS - Numerical (SHL)
    Evercore - Numerical (SHL), Verbal
    HSBC - SJT, Logical (SHL)
    RBC - Numerical (SHL), Verbal
    Nomura - Numerical (Kenexa), Logical
    Societe Generale - Numerical (SHL)
    RBS - Numerical (TalentQ), Logical (TalentQ)
    BNP Paribas - verbal and numerical (cut-e)
    Goldman - no tests

List of Firms:
    BBs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

GS, MS, JPM, Barclays, CS, DB, Citi, BAML and UBS

Balance Sheet Banks:
    Spoiler:
    Show

HSBC, Nomura, SocGen, BNP and RBS (RBS are not recruiting for markets or CIB)

Elite Boutiques/Independent Advisory Firms
    Spoiler:
    Show

Centerview, Qatalyst, PWP, Evercore, Lazard, PJT Partners, Rothschild, Greenhill, Moelis, Gleacher Shacklock and Investec

Full-Service Middle Market:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Jefferies, Houlihan, Stifel, RBC, William Blair, Baird, Piper Jaffray

Middle Market Independent Advisory:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Liontree, Lincoln, Cannacord Genuity, DC Advisory

Big4:
    Spoiler:
    Show

KPMG CorpFin Advisory, PwC M&A/Deals, EY Corp Fin Advisory, Deloitte Corp Fin Advisory

European regional:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Santander, Credit Agricole, BBVA, UniCredit, Commerzbank, ABN Amro, ING

Quant Firms

HFT:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Jump Trading, Tower Research Capital, Virtu Financial, Teza Technologies, Hudson River Trading

Quantitative hedge funds:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Citadel, Two Sigma, DE Shaw, Oxford AM, Cantab Capital, Winton, Man (AHL), GSA Capital, G-Research, AQR

Prop Trading Firms:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Jane Street, Five Rings, IMC Markets, SIG, KCG, Wolverine Trading, DRW, Optiver, Maven Capital, XR trading, Tibra, Akuna, TransMarket, Peak6, XTX, Sun, Chicago Trading Co, Flow, Volant, Allston, Sun, Spot, Belvedere, Tradebot, Headlands

Can I apply to internships as a final year student/not a penultimate year student?

Yes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    JPM (for S&T), MS, Citi, Barcap, UBS, Nomura, RBC, BAML, SocGen, BNPP, GS

Only Off-Cycle:
    Spoiler:
    Show

CS, RBS

Only if you intend to do a Masters
    Spoiler:
    Show

HSBC

No, only grad
    Spoiler:
    Show

DB

ReputationRep:
    You ARE the one who starts threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    Just when you guys thought no one would possibly start one of these damn threads any earlier in the year.

MY TIME NOW *****ES!
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol I think I'll start a 2018 Spring week thread, can't be too early... 😂😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    never too early to start prepping

ReputationRep:
    lllloving it

ReputationRep:
    When do the applications open ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths degree)
    When do the applications open ?
    August / September I think for most. A couple may open earlier than that. I'm applying for internships and grad roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are Master's level students typically "allowed" to intern? Or are they simply rejected on the basis of not being in their penultimate year?

I'll be studying my Master's in Physics at a significantly better university than I am at present so would like to give summer apps another go.

Good luck with apps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewtoIB123)
    Are Master's level students typically "allowed" to intern? Or are they simply rejected on the basis of not being in their penultimate year?

I'll be studying my Master's in Physics at a significantly better university than I am at present so would like to give summer apps another go.

Good luck with apps!!
    You'll be able to apply but not all will have policies that allow final year students (which you technically are) to be considered. That said I would 1000000% apply for internships in place of grad roles, the latter is becoming more scarce every year as banks focus on recruiting from intern classes or interns from other banks.

Other types of firm (consulting, accounting, asset management etc) however, don't have the same pin-point focus on recruiting interns - you'd be fine gunning for grad for those firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You'll be able to apply but not all will have policies that allow final year students (which you technically are) to be considered. That said I would 1000000% apply for internships in place of grad roles, the latter is becoming more scarce every year as banks focus on recruiting from intern classes or interns from other banks.

Other types of firm (consulting, accounting, asset management etc) however, don't have the same pin-point focus on recruiting interns - you'd be fine gunning for grad for those firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Brilliant! I'm mainly focusing on AM which bodes well I hope. I'll stick with interns purely because I have no chance of getting a grad offer with the internship I have in hand.

ReputationRep:
    Do we stand a better chance if we apply early / one of the first few candidates to apply as soon as these apps open ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stealth_writer)
    Do we stand a better chance if we apply early / one of the first few candidates to apply as soon as these apps open ?
    The earlier, the better as it is first come, first served. You are more likely to get an offer if you apply early as there are more spaces available. I do not think anything is open yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    The earlier, the better as it is first come, first served. You are more likely to get an offer if you apply early as there are more spaces available. I do not think anything is open yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clearing that up for me .

So best to get the apps in as soon as they open, to increase my chances !

ReputationRep:
    if we apply early, aren't we in competition with the people who are most eager, well informed, enthusiastic etc. i.e won't competition be of a much stronger quality when applying immediately as opposed to waiting a month or so, when people who may just be chancing their arm apply, i.e slightly lower quality competiion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econibpe)
    if we apply early, aren't we in competition with the people who are most eager, well informed, enthusiastic etc. i.e won't competition be of a much stronger quality when applying immediately as opposed to waiting a month or so, when people who may just be chancing their arm apply, i.e slightly lower quality competiion?
    You're looking too far into it. A month will not drastically change the average applicant profile, you'll still be competing with thousands of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if this is a legit thread - someone like this comment so i can find the thread again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    if this is a legit thread - someone like this comment so i can find the thread again
    You're not a penultimate student tho, it won't be of much use

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You're not a penultimate student tho, it won't be of much use

Posted from TSR Mobile
    asking on behalf of my cousin ( + also for me to get an idea of where people are applying (ie firms apart from IB/AM/IM places and the steps/hurdles we have to pass to get the internship as each firm is slightly different)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    asking on behalf of my cousin ( + also for me to get an idea of where people are applying (ie firms apart from IB/AM/IM places and the steps/hurdles we have to pass to get the internship as each firm is slightly different)
    Fair play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.