The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Original post by ΔΔΔ
I have a summer 2017 internship at a BB in London . If the internship goes well does the bank fast track you for graduate positions.
How early do they let you know ?
Do you have to go through the full application process?

Any info would be appreciated.
I don't want to submit 25 applications again and sit those tests again.
If I get an early offer I plan to reduce the number of applications to less than 10.

Thx

if it goes well they give you a ft job offer.. straight after the internship
Original post by gr8wizard10
blazer, tbh.. once you get used to the culture of the team you can adapt accordingly, so long as it's sensible. I mostly kept my blazers in the office cloakrooms and came to work in a shirt and no tie. but had them at my desk for any formal events.

IBD has more spots but is more competitive, all in all id say equal levels of competition across most FO roles.. or negligible in the sense of probability.

if your schedule permits you to do a placement, go for it.. it's just inconvinient for most. goodluck

With MiFID II equity research is getting crushed at most banks. I know at two banks the most competitive FO summer role (on a pure no. places to applicant basis) for the last few years was equity research.
Would greatly appreciate advice for the situation I find myself in: final year doing BB IBD internship this summer with no plans after. Obviously will try my hardest to convert, but other factors play a role too. If I don't convert, what is the best course of action? Apply for graduate roles or internships again?
Original post by Mike_123
Would greatly appreciate advice for the situation I find myself in: final year doing BB IBD internship this summer with no plans after. Obviously will try my hardest to convert, but other factors play a role too. If I don't convert, what is the best course of action? Apply for graduate roles or internships again?

Go for grad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike_123

you can apply for grad given that you would have already done the internship
Original post by Noble.
With MiFID II equity research is getting crushed at most banks. I know at two banks the most competitive FO summer role (on a pure no. places to applicant basis) for the last few years was equity research.

Which 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. I will be an applicant for 2018. Was wondering which test packages should I buy online? My university gave me a couple of assesementday tests, but not enough to gain full practice, and they seem good to purchase for more practice. Any opinions?

Cheers
Original post by glebp
Hey guys. I will be an applicant for 2018. Was wondering which test packages should I buy online? My university gave me a couple of assesementday tests, but not enough to gain full practice, and they seem good to purchase for more practice. Any opinions?

Cheers

Personally prefer Graduate Monkey (especially the ebook) but go ahead with Assessment Day if you like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What months do most banks tend to hold their ACs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gsbs2
Sep-dec

could even short squeeze it to oct-dec
Has anyone done one of the trading courses with Amplify Trading? If so, was it of any use? And did it improve your CV? Thanks
tbh, it's probably better than nothing.
Original post by gsbs2
Is it free? If it isn't then I'll give you a triple no

It is not free, it costs around 900 pounds. However, they have trained HSBC and other BB staff, and they teach you as well how to trade in the LSE
Anyone know which banks use video interviews rather than telephone?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goldman Sachs use video

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goldman, Barclays, Macquarie, BNP Paribas, Lazard, Bank Of England, BlackRock (Investment Management)

probably some others, but thats all i can think of right now.

how do you guys prepare for video interviews? i absolutely hate them
Original post by ozilll
Goldman, Barclays, Macquarie, BNP Paribas, Lazard, Bank Of England, BlackRock (Investment Management)

probably some others, but thats all i can think of right now.

how do you guys prepare for video interviews? i absolutely hate them

lol wow, a lot of places have resorted to vid ints. never did one in my life, they seem too awkward. i guess it's the same as a normal interview, but into a camera.
lol wow, a lot of places have resorted to vid ints. never did one in my life, they seem too awkward. i guess it's the same as a normal interview, but into a camera.

its the worst thing ever. way more competition, its extremely awkward and some banks (i think Goldman) have started to get computers to mark the interviewer instead of a human.
Original post by ozilll
its the worst thing ever. way more competition, its extremely awkward and some banks (i think Goldman) have started to get computers to mark the interviewer instead of a human.

xD that's savage. but also quite impressive on the point of technology. i assume they have some algo that picks up on keywords (not sure how else they would filter).. found out what those are and use them in your responses i guess.
xD that's savage. but also quite impressive on the point of technology. i assume they have some algo that picks up on keywords (not sure how else they would filter).. found out what those are and use them in your responses i guess.

very impressive & efficient but quite annoying.

algos are more picking up on body language, movement of hands and ect but also on keywords I guess.

i would personally love for a bank to hold a workshop on the perfect video interview.....

Quick Reply