Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mesut Ozil bottles the assists record Watch

ReputationRep:
    After Cesc Fabregas' spectacular downfall during the 2015 calendar year, we are now witnessing the bottling antics of his spiritual successor at Arsenal. Mesut Ozil has not only taken over Fabregas' place as the Gunners' creative lynchpin, but perhaps embodies their failure to get over the line in the Premier League title race as well as Fabregas did.

Although the Arsenal-bred Fabregas flattered to deceive and fell short of the assist record in Chelsea colours last season, it is striking how similar Ozil's case is this season. The German playmaker achieved 15 assists in the first half of the campaign as Arsenal intermittently topped the table, and he was even the bookies' favourite for the player of the year award at one stage. But as is so often the case with Arsenal, the New Year brought turmoil, and in 2016 Ozil has the paltry record of 3 assists in 17 games, leaving him 2 off Thierry Henry's record of 20.

Meanwhile even if Arsenal win on the last day, it will be their weakest points total in the last 4 years and a point for Spurs would see them finish third. Should they lose, it could be their weakest in the last 10, possibly finishing fourth and a whopping 22 points off Wenger's last title-winning team.

Mesut Ozil. The physical embodiment of the Arsenal mentality; tricks and flicks at the start of the season, crumbling under pressure, satisfied with a career of acceptable mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    I dont blame ozil to much. I have not seen all the games this season, but in the 2nd half of the season, to me, when he played, he still seemed to be one of the best players on the pitch.

Lets not forget that an assists is only an assist if the striker scores, and he is playing with strikers like giroud, who went from january to may without a league goal...

I would be more interested in seeing how badly his chance creation has dropped off since january - would be far more telling of any personal dip in form he has had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I dont blame ozil to much. I have not seen all the games this season, but in the 2nd half of the season, to me, when he played, he still seemed to be one of the best players on the pitch.

Lets not forget that an assists is only an assist if the striker scores, and he is playing with strikers like giroud, who went from january to may without a league goal...

I would be more interested in seeing how badly his chance creation has dropped off since january - would be far more telling of any personal dip in form he has had.
    This
    We need a WC striker
    But wenger will still play Giroud up front
    I dont understand why he wouldnt play Sanchez up front Sanchez 17 goals Giroud 13 goals
    You know you are ***** when your midfield has more goals than the striker.

If only people could convert His chances it would have happened unless he assists 3 goals today Aston Villa should not turn up
    Wenger plz bring Morata in and we will juve Giroud
    A striker is a top priority
    Rem back in the days when we had good strikers
    One thing i will never get. Why did Wenger play Giroud a number 12 infront of Podoski a number 9 who was not afraid to take long shots

ReputationRep:
    We have too many "half a season" players in our squad. They'll go on a good run but ultimately they deceive the fans because they get found out midway through and don't change. That's what separates the unplayable from the ordinary.

ReputationRep:
    Ozil is a class act but his form seems to follow the team's ie when Arsenal are playing well and in stomping form he looks unstoppable, when Arsenal are in a slump he is anonymous.

He isn't a player who seems to have great form when the team is playing badly or even better, acts as the spark to turn the team's form around. Guys like Adams, Vieira, Henry were this type of player.

I also think Chelsea have the same problem with guys like say Fabregas and Costa following the team's form rather than shaping it (eg Lampard, Drogba)

ReputationRep:
    Shocker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    This
    We need a WC striker
    But wenger will still play Giroud up front
    I dont understand why he wouldnt play Sanchez up front Sanchez 17 goals Giroud 13 goals
    You know you are ***** when your midfield has more goals than the striker.

If only people could convert His chances it would have happened unless he assists 3 goals today Aston Villa should not turn up
    Wenger plz bring Morata in and we will juve Giroud
    A striker is a top priority
    Rem back in the days when we had good strikers
    One thing i will never get. Why did Wenger play Giroud a number 12 infront of Podoski a number 9 who was not afraid to take long shots
    Giroud has more goals than Sanchez (and did at the time of your post), Giroud certainly isn't sh*t and is a 20 goal a season player for your club. As for why not to play Sanchez up front, he has no experience as a striker and it would mean moving the best player in the side to a position they've never played.

The last sentence is probably the biggest pile of nonsense I've ever seen. Since when should shirt number determine who plays in what position? lol

The difference between Ozil and say Hazard (at least in 14/15) is that Ozil is that he can only really perform when the team are playing well, obviously wasn't an issue for RM or Germany. He's not the type that can conjure up a game winning bit of magic when you have eight or nine players behind the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Ozil is a class act but his form seems to follow the team's ie when Arsenal are playing well and in stomping form he looks unstoppable, when Arsenal are in a slump he is anonymous.

He isn't a player who seems to have great form when the team is playing badly or even better, acts as the spark to turn the team's form around. Guys like Adams, Vieira, Henry were this type of player.

I also think Chelsea have the same problem with guys like say Fabregas and Costa following the team's form rather than shaping it (eg Lampard, Drogba)
    Yes but Hazard shapes the form. In fact you'd argue that Hazard's form was the main contributor to our shocking season(since he shapes whether the team plays well or not)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Podolski is a curious kind of player. His pedigree should suggest he is streets ahead of Giroud but Giroud is a proper centre forward even if people think he's not top class. Podolski has a good shot on him but not that much else.

Giroud has decent movement, can hold the ball up, bring others in to play, act as a target man for crosses. Podolski kind of stood about not doing much hoping to get a chance and then he would crack it at goal. Wenger played him as a left sided forward a lot but then he just stood about often with his back to goal, and when he received it he just passed it back to the midfield or to Gibbs. Occasionally he would drift inside and get a chance to shoot and again he could crack it with power.

He was good at maintaining his popularity with supporters due to his social media campaign so always got people saying he should play centre forward ahead of Giroud but he wasn't going to be the answer.

Wenger brought in Welbeck to replace him who when fit plays the same position and contributes a lot more overall and a similar amount of goals.

Podolski has got over 100 caps for one of the strongest national teams in the world but he's only really had two prolific domestic seasons, both at FC Koln, his breakthrough season and then his last year before joining Arsenal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.