Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Hey, just looking some advice-

    My neighbour in halls is being incredibly noisy. This hasn't been a problem for the past two terms (as he wasn't in that room) but it has really started to be an issue. He plays music really loudly all night- this morning it ended only at about half past five. Add to this the fact that I am having some quite significant mental health and sleep problems- hopefully you can see the problem.

    The domestic agreement says that we have to ask them to be quiet in the first case but the person making the noise is often extremely drunk when this is going on and I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing it up. I have also had some problems with the domestic office before (getting them to believe that there is a problem when there clearly is) so I'm not sure how to go about complaining about it. I have prelims in under a month so this will only become more of an issue.

    Then, just to top it off, there's the concern about my tutors finding out about my mental health problems- if I need to mention it to be taken seriously, I'm really worried that I'll be forced to rusticate and that the entire year will have been for nothing.

    So yeah, part-rant, part-advice seeking: what should I do? Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Your best bet is to talk to him. If you ask him during the afernoon then he is less likely to be drunk.

    If you cant manage to talk to anyone, then you can try writing a note asking him to keep the noise down as everyone is revising. I would let the porter/concierge know or get him to accompany you. That way you have a witness. You should also keep a log of dates , times and disturbance as evidencce of this persons behaviour and maybe talk to your neighbours, because he must be keeping them awake as well.

    As for your mental health problems, then you should be seeing your Dr. They wont pull you from exams, but they will be able to take it into consideration when marking and try yo give you a fair chance. Imo I would tell them. If you are getting the grades and can cope then you will be fine. If you arent , then you need to deal with your mental health issues. Hiding them doesnt do you any good.

    Deal with it directly. I dont think you are helping your own cause.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.