Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being Evicted and AS Exam Tomorrow? watch

That's basically the long story short. But I've had no time to revise, I've had to pack everything up, it may not sound like much... But there's always something somewhere. And the stress it's put on me is unbelievable I can't read one sentence of my book if I even get the time to. I don't know what to do. I literally will be on the streets tonight but still have to make it to my exam tomorrow.
    I'll definitely be disadvantaged than everyone else. I'm honestly not on my game right now, I'm predicted an A in the subject, due to getting them in mocks. However before the mock I was on top of everything, I was prepared for it. I wasn't homeless. I feel the complete opposite right now, I forgot everything literally even the basic things. It's just me and my brother.
    Is there anything I can do?
    What happens if I miss the exam? Can I let them know and show them the eviction letter?
    I've never even thought of the idea of missing an exam so I most likely will go, however is there anything I can do?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You need to talk to your exams officer and your tutor.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You need to talk to your exams officer and your tutor.
    I don't know. I don't feel comfortable in telling people about things in my life, I don't like he idea of them being sympathetic towards me. Or getting special treatment. I just want to be normal. Plus word will most likely spread to the other teachers and they'll start coming up to me, especially the fact that it's coming from me, they'd never expect me to be in this situation.

If I do that, what benefit will I get from it? I don't want to have to teachers knowing and having discussions about me, if you get me? I just don't feel comfortable with it, I like keeping things to myself. No matter how deep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know. I don't feel comfortable in telling people about things in my life, I don't like he idea of them being sympathetic towards me. Or getting special treatment. I just want to be normal. Plus word will most likely spread to the other teachers and they'll start coming up to me, especially the fact that it's coming from me, they'd never expect me to be in this situation.

If I do that, what benefit will I get from it? I don't want to have to teachers knowing and having discussions about me, if you get me? I just don't feel comfortable with it, I like keeping things to myself. No matter how deep.
    Then, you will have to just cope with your situation, sometimes, no matter how much you want to be independent you have to turn to others, and its difficult but you can ask to talk to a single teacher in confidence and they will not be allowed to discuss private business with others

(Original post by ProbablyJade)
    Then, you will have to just cope with your situation, sometimes, no matter how much you want to be independent you have to turn to others, and its difficult but you can ask to talk to a single teacher in confidence and they will not be allowed to discuss private business with others
    Yeah, thank you, I think I'll do that and ask her to keep it quiet. Just don't know how I'm going to be able to say it without bursting into tears... That'll probably freak her out because I'm not a person people expect to cry.
    How do you think she'll help me?

ReputationRep:
    Contact your school's exams office or the exam board and seek advice. As for where to stay tonight, ask friends if you can sleep on their sofa or go to a church and ask the vicar because they're a lot more welcoming than you think. Don't worry about how you do if you take the exam. Some things in life work out the way you want, some don't. There will always be opportunities and other options open to you. Don't beat yourself up!

ReputationRep:
    Go and see your local council. If you're still at school then they should house you somewhere.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Go and see your local council. If you're still at school then they should house you somewhere.
    They said the only way they could help is emergency accommodation outside of London as the area I'm in has lots of families on the list. I guess it being just me and my brother puts us at the bottom of the list, the rest with kids get priority. Emergency accommodation isn't s great environment to be at the night before an exam, but the streets aren't either so beggars can't be choosers. What happens if I can't make it to the exam? If my only choice is to be outside of London. What will happen to my grade? There's 2 papers, the second one is a week after so hopefully something will be sorted by then and I can make it to that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thank you, I think I'll do that and ask her to keep it quiet. Just don't know how I'm going to be able to say it without bursting into tears... That'll probably freak her out because I'm not a person people expect to cry.
    How do you think she'll help me?
    Don't feel ashamed about crying, tbh it shows you care and the strains you are under, just cry and take some tissues, i think they could help you with your housing problem, and i really don't know but maybe you could end up taking the january exams of 2017?

Don't feel ashamed about crying, tbh it shows you care and the strains you are under, just cry and take some tissues, i think they could help you with your housing problem, and i really don't know but maybe you could end up taking the january exams of 2017?
    Thank you. But what about my AS grade? On results day, applying to Uni.
    I feel like there's s great chance I won't be able to go 😬

ReputationRep:
    you can't do exams in January anymore

ReputationRep:
    OP, don't worry about your grade as you can always retake the exam next year. Plus, your reference teacher who writes your reference will explain that you've had mitigating circumstances which unis should be 100% fine with.

(Original post by orphan_black)
    OP, don't worry about your grade as you can always retake the exam next year. Plus, your reference teacher who writes your reference will explain that you've had mitigating circumstances which unis should be 100% fine with.
    I'm planning on dropping the subject so I really just want the AS qualification. . Do you have any idea what the grade will appear like? If I miss the first paper but make it to the 2nd will they use my predicted and my mark from the 2nd?

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on dropping the subject so I really just want the AS qualification. . Do you have any idea what the grade will appear like? If I miss the first paper but make it to the 2nd will they use my predicted and my mark from the 2nd?
    possibly. If not you'll get an X in the unit you're missing

ReputationRep:
    They said the only way they could help is emergency accommodation outside of London as the area I'm in has lots of families on the list. I guess it being just me and my brother puts us at the bottom of the list, the rest with kids get priority. Emergency accommodation isn't s great environment to be at the night before an exam, but the streets aren't either so beggars can't be choosers. What happens if I can't make it to the exam? If my only choice is to be outside of London. What will happen to my grade? There's 2 papers, the second one is a week after so hopefully something will be sorted by then and I can make it to that.
    You're going to have to speak to your teachers about it, otherwise the grade is what it is and there's nothing you can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    You could stay with relatives if you have any in the area
    If you are under age the government has to give you and your brother (if he is as well) a place in an orphanage, especially if you don't have any parents or any you can rely on depending if they fit into the social security criteria.
    It might not be ideal but it will be better than living off the streets and you'll be able to study better, as well as be healthier (mentally and physically) during your exams.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't talk to someone you aren't going to get any help. As much as you may not want to, the best thing is to tell your exams officer at the very least - they can put you in for special consideration, which might help bump up a lower mark than you would have otherwise achieved under better circumstances. It's also really important that whoever ends up writing your reference knows too - they can put any grades achieved into context, so universities know you were at a disadvantage or whatnot. Honestly, there are people in all sorts of circumstances that this happens to every single year - there is nothing to be ashamed of here. If you can email the officer or a teacher ASAP, or even call them - do it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Are you being evicted on your own or is it your family?

You really should have informed your exam officer sooner and they could have made arrangements. You should have put them on warning at least becayse these things dont happen overnight.

You dont give enough information about the eviction, so its hard to comment. I will assume its the final stage and the bailiffs are coming tomorrow. You or your parents should have been taking advice much sooner.

If you feel its impossible to sit or you are at a substantial disadavantage, then I would just resit it. You should let your school know your home life is difficult and the exam board can take that into consideration. You cna explain the delay to your uni and sill put in a preducted grade.

You or your family need to speak to Shelter or CAB.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.