The Student Room Group

do you feel like time is passing more quickly as you get older?

Scroll to see replies

In the long term yes, but day-to-day seems really slow and boring.
I'm sure a large part of the problem is how we spend our time these days. Sitting in front of a computer just endlessly scrolling through Facebook/Instagram, working our way down Reddit and Tumblr, reading today's XKCD and GraphJam, ...

Hours seem to fly by in seconds and yet when we step away from it all we haven't really achieved anything at all. Days blend into months and years pass by in monotony.

Yet, if it's a wet, windy day, and the hourly bus is due in 55 minutes, no seconds creep past more slowly than when sitting out at that bus stop, staring down the road with truly nothing else to do but wonder at the grey clouds and rain sheeting it down, shivering in the cold whilst waiting for the yellow lights of the bus to emerge from around the bend.

Time does not truly pass any faster as we age. Even our perception of time doesn't change if we remember each day to find time to just sit and experience the seconds. That means leaving the phone behind and putting down the technology, and finding time to simply sit and think, or to exist outside, to build with Meccano or blocks, or lie down in a forest at night and listen to the wildlife at night. Our perception of time isn't determined for us - we determine it ourselves if we have enough determination to make time for time itself.
They say that after you reach the age of 20, your life is half way over psychologically. This means the duration of your life, or the visceral and the subjective perception you have of how much time has passed by, goes by quicker as we age. The last 1/4 of your life is supposed to go by quicker than the previous 3/4 of it, and THAT would go by quicker than the first 1/4 of it, and so on.
Time is like a snowball that’s rolling down a hill, the more it travels, the faster it roll.Why does time seem to accelerate as we age? Part of the reason is because when we are older , we fail to be stimulated by new stimuli. When we are kids, everything we experience is new and novel. There are always new stimuli that are coming into our brains daily to stimulate our perception and cognition.
When we are constantly learning new things and are bombarded by new information and stimuli, time seems to slow down due to the brain’s need to process all the new information that is filling up its spatial-temporal dimension. Also, when we are children, our lives are filled with “boring moments” that seem to slow time down, like the way you sit in classrooms and wonder when the bell is going to go off. Our lives are also less routine-like and more unpredictable, and with unpredictability, time seems to slow down due to the way the brain takes its time to respond to and process novel situations and information. But when we grow older, we tend to live our lives through routine after routine and that nothing seems new anymore.
Time speeds up when we are more less used to everything that is happening around us. When every week/day/month is indistinguishable from each other and as predictable as the next, we lose the sense of time as it disappears and dissolves in the back of our consciousness. You know how when you drive down a new road, it always seems to feel like it takes longer to drive to the new destination than on the drive back? I think the same concept of new stimuli vs. old stimuli can be applied here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, that's what that diagram I posted represents :cute:
I hope this is true.... I need time to fly faster during exam season :/ I hate having to revise for a whole month and a bit and study for the rest of the year

Quick Reply

Latest