IAROX15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Couldn't find a thread for the unit 1 exam on the 26th of May so I've made one. Hope this is helpful!
Loody Nagy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a question...
The elastic fibres (in the aorta) stretch so that they can accommodate the greater volume of blood without being damaged. Between surges, these elastic fibres return to their original length, thus squeezing the blood and moving it in a continuous flow. This is known as elastic recoil.Alright, but does this elastic recoil raise or lower the blood pressure? If not, does it have any other role other than allowing the blood to move in a continuous flow?
Loody Nagy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another question...How do you explain thrombosis? How is it different from atherosclerosis?
Bliss_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Loody Nagy)
Another question...How do you explain thrombosis? How is it different from atherosclerosis?
Atherosclerosis is the name for a condition that occurs when plaques form on the inner lining of the blood vessels. It is composed of fatty material which accumulates and can become calcified. Atherosclerosis forms in muscular arteries and the aorta. When atheromatous plaques break free (embolization) they commonly go to the brain and cause an aneurysm (if the plaque was located in the carotids). They form because of elevated cholesterols (LDL, VLDL)

A thrombus is the name for a blood clot that forms on the inner lining of your blood vessels-most commonly the deep legs veins. There are a number of causes, but the general cause is "blood stasis". When blood is unable to circulate (due to poor circulation, obesity, a long term hospital stay, long term immobility) it settles and forms clots. People with "hypercoagulable" states also form clots more easily that normal people. These clots can occlude a vessel can cause an infarction of tissue or an organ. If the clot breaks free (embolization), it most frequently goes to the lungs where it causes a pulmonary embolism.
IAROX15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bliss_)
Atherosclerosis is the name for a condition that occurs when plaques form on the inner lining of the blood vessels. It is composed of fatty material which accumulates and can become calcified. Atherosclerosis forms in muscular arteries and the aorta. When atheromatous plaques break free (embolization) they commonly go to the brain and cause an aneurysm (if the plaque was located in the carotids). They form because of elevated cholesterols (LDL, VLDL)

A thrombus is the name for a blood clot that forms on the inner lining of your blood vessels-most commonly the deep legs veins. There are a number of causes, but the general cause is "blood stasis". When blood is unable to circulate (due to poor circulation, obesity, a long term hospital stay, long term immobility) it settles and forms clots. People with "hypercoagulable" states also form clots more easily that normal people. These clots can occlude a vessel can cause an infarction of tissue or an organ. If the clot breaks free (embolization), it most frequently goes to the lungs where it causes a pulmonary embolism.
How can atheromatous plaques break free (they're integrated into the endothelial lining after a point)? When you say 'embolisation', isn't it when a blood clot is immobilized in blood vessels and not when an atheromatous plaque breaks free?
IAROX15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loody Nagy)
I got a question...
The elastic fibres (in the aorta) stretch so that they can accommodate the greater volume of blood without being damaged. Between surges, these elastic fibres return to their original length, thus squeezing the blood and moving it in a continuous flow. This is known as elastic recoil.Alright, but does this elastic recoil raise or lower the blood pressure? If not, does it have any other role other than allowing the blood to move in a continuous flow?
I thought the whole stretching and recoil was to even out blood flow. I don't think it changes the blood pressure per se. Because with increasing distance from the aorta (from aorta to capillaries), the blood pressure decreases anyway, right?
Bliss_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IAROX15)
How can atheromatous plaques break free (they're integrated into the endothelial lining after a point)? When you say 'embolisation', isn't it when a blood clot is immobilized in blood vessels and not when an atheromatous plaque breaks free?
its not that the whole atheroma breaks free
only little pieces of plaque break off and block small blood vessels
this applies to both of your questions
oh, and embolism could be due to a blood clot, fat globule, gas bubble or foreign material, in the bloodstream not necessarily a blood clot
good question btw
IAROX15
Rep:
?
its not that the whole atheroma breaks free
only little pieces of plaque break off and block small blood vessels
this applies to both of your questions
oh, and embolism could be due to a blood clot, fat globule, gas bubble or foreign material, in the bloodstream not necessarily a blood clot
good question btw
Thanks for the help! You ready for the exam?
Bliss_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the help! You ready for the exam?
yw
yeah i guess i'm ready. wbu?
IAROX15
Rep:
?
yw
yeah i guess i'm ready. wbu?
Not at all
Haven't gone through everything. Genetic testing confuses me.
Bliss_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm try watching videos about it on YouTube and reading revision notes about it on physicsandmathstutor.com
It really helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAROX15
Rep:
?
Hmm try watching videos about it on YouTube and reading revision notes about it on physicsandmathstutor.com
It really helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I should do that too...
Polpi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey why is measuring the initial rate so important?
Bliss_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Polpi)
hey why is measuring the initial rate so important?
its important in reactions about enzymes because with the progress of reaction the rate of rxn decreases due to the decreasing substrate concentration and substrate concentration starts to become a limiting factor
so if you measure the initial rxn, at that point susbtrate concentration is not a limiting factor and there is only one variable changing which is time
i hope i made sense
Polpi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its important in reactions about enzymes because with the progress of reaction the rate of rxn decreases due to the decreasing substrate concentration and substrate concentration starts to become a limiting factor
so if you measure the initial rxn, at that point susbtrate concentration is not a limiting factor and there is only one variable changing which is time
i hope i made sense
Thanks
Bliss_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Polpi)
Thanks
youre welcome ^-^
aj2152
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OCR AS BIOLOGY A (2015) - These puns are getting cornea and cornea...
http://link.q.is/Pnwc/QvKOBHPGFt

This is a quiz for Biology and it is getting constantly updated so it's really great for quick fire revision and good for practice of Multiple choice questions. Although its based from the OCR Spec, it's still useful for revision because biology is simply biology... So enjoy revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maria247
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How was the exam people? What was the answer for the enzyme question.. Was the initial rate 0.5?
Sabila.S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maria247)
How was the exam people? What was the answer for the enzyme question.. Was the initial rate 0.5?
I got 0.5 as my concentration
MrBioBombastic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Couldn't find a thread for the unit 1 exam on the 26th of May so I've made one. Hope this is helpful!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post65193559 There u go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads