Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Somebody told me that at a top uni for law, such as Bristol/Durham/UCL/Warwick, around half of those who applied for training contracts had been successful by the time they had graduated and started the LPC. Would you say this is quite accurate, and that around half of the students at a top uni listed above are successful in gaining a TC by the time they graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Somebody told me that at a top uni for law, such as Bristol/Durham/UCL/Warwick, around half of those who applied for training contracts had been successful by the time they had graduated and started the LPC. Would you say this is quite accurate, and that around half of the students at a top uni listed above are successful in gaining a TC by the time they graduate?
    Possibly - but it's really hard to know for sure. 1) you don't know how many people applied and in what volume they applied 2) people like to make assumptions on how many people have got TCs when the reality is very few know their whole year group well enough to know for sure. Those who think they know tend to be in circles of friends who are more career driven/focused, and therefore probably have a bit of a skewed view of things.

Ultimately the uni you went to does not get you a TC, the experiences on your application form and your motivation do. As I have said many times before, I used to reject far more Oxford students that any other university (by quite a margin) but I also used to hire more Oxford students than any other uni.

Where going to a good uni helps is the networks it creates. There are far many more careers events, workshops, brand ambassadors, sponsorship of law societies at "top" unis than there is at lower ones. Their careers services and law faculties also have better connections to law firms. This generally helps their students be more informed about how to get into the profession.

Let's put it this way - 300 people in a year (roughly), half apply for TCs (a lot won't apply because they are not interested in the career) = 150. Half of those get TCs = 75 people. That across the top 5 unis that would be roughly 375 people out of 5,500 TCs. That's not unreasonable but still a small fraction of the opportunities available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Oli, did you not have much luck on rof? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermionic)
    Hey Oli, did you not have much luck on rof? :P
    Not sure if you saw my post on ROF. I put it on there but always get roasted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great - having read the thread on RoF, you are clearly trolling as you state "you know the answer" already.

It's times like this when I wonder why I spend time on this forum answering questions like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Great - having read the thread on RoF, you are clearly trolling as you state "you know the answer" already.

It's times like this when I wonder why I spend time on this forum answering questions like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always appreciate your advice! I was just really annoyed by 'bmxbandit'. Before I said anything provocative, he told me he wanted me to die of cancer! I always thank people for their feedback and take it in

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.