The Student Room Group

Finance inquiry

Hey there, ive been in university now for 2 years on a BIS course with foundation year. Unfortuanatley the course really wasnt what I was expecting and I plan on changing course but have heard that student finance may not fund me for a year because of the years ive already done, which is a huge put off at the minute.

Ive read that student finance fund you for your course length plus an extra year, if I initially joined a course with a foundation year would that mean student finance fund me for 4 years plus an extra year? Or only the 3 years as the course length. If they counted the foundation year towards the course length changing course before entering second year would allow me to get funding for the whole 3 years on the new course

Im simply confused over all this, would appreciate any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by qnuggz
Hey there, ive been in university now for 2 years on a BIS course with foundation year. Unfortuanatley the course really wasnt what I was expecting and I plan on changing course but have heard that student finance may not fund me for a year because of the years ive already done, which is a huge put off at the minute.

Ive read that student finance fund you for your course length plus an extra year, if I initially joined a course with a foundation year would that mean student finance fund me for 4 years plus an extra year? Or only the 3 years as the course length. If they counted the foundation year towards the course length changing course before entering second year would allow me to get funding for the whole 3 years on the new course

Im simply confused over all this, would appreciate any help! :smile:

The calculation is:

Number of years of your new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of entitlement to Student Finance

Partial years are considered as complete for the purpose of the calculation.

In your situation, the equation gives you 3-3+1= 1 year of SF remaining. You would get that for the last year of your new course and would have to fund the first two years (including tuition fee) yourself.

Most people will only have enough SF to start a new course from scratch if they leave during or immediately after their first year. The only exceptions are degrees which are exempt from that calculation such as medicine or nursing, or unless there are extenuating circumstances which force you to abandon the first degree attempt (such as bereavement, serious illness etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending