Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Im a graduate starting the 5 year course this September 2016 at KCL and have a baby! I would like to know how many hours a week do you have to be at uni roughly in the first 2 years, and is it half days or full days?
    That would help me make a decision on weather to put my son at nursery full/part time or whether to defer the year alltogether if its too much!
    Any advice welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saramed)
    Hello
    Im a graduate starting the 5 year course this September 2016 at KCL and have a baby! I would like to know how many hours a week do you have to be at uni roughly in the first 2 years, and is it half days or full days?
    That would help me make a decision on weather to put my son at nursery full/part time or whether to defer the year alltogether if its too much!
    Any advice welcome
    It depends a lot on the week/month and what you actually turn up to - lectures are optional so if you don't turn up to any and watch them all online, you won't be in very often (only for practicals, tutorials and dissection). Early on its quite heavy, there are lots of early starts and late finishes but these ease off. I'd say on average you're there around 12-14 hours a week, more on a heavy week.

It should be fairly similar for 2nd year (I'm only 1st year so I can't answer as of yet).

ReputationRep:
    12-14 hours including all the lectures??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    12-14 hours including all the lectures??
    If you went to all of them (most people tend to skip ones before 10/11 and after 3/4), it'd probably be around 20. There is a lot of variation though.

ReputationRep:
    Each year is a bit different so you could have lectures spread out the day, which for yourself could be a problem.
    You need to attend dissections and i think tutorials are monitored, most the lectures you can do at home (I did as on the 4 year and the thought of sitting in a lecture theatre 8 hours a day made me want to cry).

Drop me a DM and i can try and email you a timetable

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm in a similar position to yourself with a Kings 5 year offer & 2 kids aged 6 and 10 months old!! Will DM you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent97)
    It depends a lot on the week/month and what you actually turn up to - lectures are optional so if you don't turn up to any and watch them all online, you won't be in very often (only for practicals, tutorials and dissection). Early on its quite heavy, there are lots of early starts and late finishes but these ease off. I'd say on average you're there around 12-14 hours a week, more on a heavy week.

It should be fairly similar for 2nd year (I'm only 1st year so I can't answer as of yet).
    Thank you, wow you can watch lectures online?! Thats really useful...wasnt an option when I fid my first degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saramed)
    Thank you, wow you can watch lectures online?! Thats really useful...wasnt an option when I fid my first degree!
    Yes, they record pretty much most of them! If one isn't recorded, you can just watch last years equivalent of it - makes missing the occasional 9am not so bad haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.