-available-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I understand that H+ ions make compounds acidic and that OH- ions make compounds alkali .

but what if a compound does not have H+ ions or OH- ions? Would they just be neutral?

I thought calcium oxide was alkali but how could it be alkali without having OH- ions?
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am not entirely sure but I think the OH- and H+ ions just make solutions alkaline or acidic. So if there were H+ ions in solution that solution would be acidic I am not sure if it is the same for compounds.
earthworm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
CaO is a base not an alkali
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well a lot of aqueous solutions will either be acidic or alkaline. You are forgetting a vital factor: water. Water disassociates into OH- and H+ ions.
As the above poster has said CaO is a base not an alkali as alkalis are soluble bases
earthworm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An acid is a proton donor and a base a proton acceptor. Acording to bronstead lowrey.
-available-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by earthworm)
CaO is a base not an alkali
What's the difference? I thought base was just a substance that neutralises acids, isn't that the same as an alkali?
MersennePrime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by -available-)
What's the difference? I thought base was just a substance that neutralises acids, isn't that the same as an alkali?
No, an alkali is a type of base. Alkalis are soluble bases, yet you can also get insoluble bases, which are not alkalis.
iamhasana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by -available-)
Any Hydroxide or Oxide is a base (a substance that is used in a neutralisation reaction)

Example: In the limestone cycle:

Calcium Oxide (CaO) and Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) are both bases and can be used to neutralise acidic lakes etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (368)
67.15%
No (180)
32.85%

Watched Threads