-available-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I understand that H+ ions make compounds acidic and that OH- ions make compounds alkali .

but what if a compound does not have H+ ions or OH- ions? Would they just be neutral?

I thought calcium oxide was alkali but how could it be alkali without having OH- ions?
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not entirely sure but I think the OH- and H+ ions just make solutions alkaline or acidic. So if there were H+ ions in solution that solution would be acidic I am not sure if it is the same for compounds.
earthworm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CaO is a base not an alkali
Jehaan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well a lot of aqueous solutions will either be acidic or alkaline. You are forgetting a vital factor: water. Water disassociates into OH- and H+ ions.
As the above poster has said CaO is a base not an alkali as alkalis are soluble bases
earthworm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An acid is a proton donor and a base a proton acceptor. Acording to bronstead lowrey.
-available-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by earthworm)
CaO is a base not an alkali
What's the difference? I thought base was just a substance that neutralises acids, isn't that the same as an alkali?
MersennePrime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by -available-)
What's the difference? I thought base was just a substance that neutralises acids, isn't that the same as an alkali?
No, an alkali is a type of base. Alkalis are soluble bases, yet you can also get insoluble bases, which are not alkalis.
iamhasana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by -available-)
Any Hydroxide or Oxide is a base (a substance that is used in a neutralisation reaction)

Example: In the limestone cycle:

Calcium Oxide (CaO) and Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) are both bases and can be used to neutralise acidic lakes etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (147)
42%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
15.14%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (142)
40.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed