Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where should I start looking for first car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I passed my test on Friday and I'm not sure where the best place to look for a first car is. My dad and I have been checking eBay, gumtree and auto trader. But is there anywhere else that anyone would recommend?

Please bare in mind that I'm not looking for anything expensive or particularly new as its a first car and will probably get a few scratches and dents along the way lol

ReputationRep:
    I suggest dropping ebay and gumtree - I've heard nothing but bad experiences.

Auto Trader is a place to start, I could give you some recommendations if you tell me your postcode area, budget, and what kind of car you'd be looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)

Auto Trader is a place to start, I could give you some recommendations if you tell me your postcode area, budget, and what kind of car you'd be looking for?
    I guess I'll try auto trader! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Also look in you local paper and look for adverts in newsagents windows and supermarket.

I'd also have a look at the classified section on pistonheads.com

EDIT: And if you're still trying to get a feel for the different makes and models then go and visit some garages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble_10)
    So I passed my test on Friday and I'm not sure where the best place to look for a first car is. My dad and I have been checking eBay, gumtree and auto trader. But is there anywhere else that anyone would recommend?

Please bare in mind that I'm not looking for anything expensive or particularly new as its a first car and will probably get a few scratches and dents along the way lol
    Try looking at local used car garages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)

i have had mainly good experiences but they weren't great they all lasted at least six months to a couple of years

(Original post by Bubble_10)

look at a dealership either approved used or part exchanges

ReputationRep:
    Autotrader is the obvious one! Although Gumtree is known to have a few decent cars, you should look there. If I were you I would buy your car off a dealership rather than a seller.

ReputationRep:
    try your local scrapyard - at least that way the insurance may be affordable.

ReputationRep:
    You could look at auction

I got my car for £1000 less than the same types being sold on Auto Trader

Had no issues and they come with 30 days safety net (i.e. if the engine blows up in the first month you get your money back)

ReputationRep:
    I bought my first car privately from someone on Auto Trader , 6 months later i sold the car as it had problems. Gotta be really careful now if i buy a car again .

ReputationRep:
    I'd shop by insurance before car.
    This was my method:
    Choose a car you like. Find the car on autotrader for an appropriate model and style. Found one? Check its specific insurance. Appropriate? Awesome, find the equivalent for an appropriate price via auto trader.
    If not, try again.
    Eventually you'll find something just perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.