Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at a russell group university studying computer science and I wish that I applied to Cambridge. I’m just putting out my thoughts here as I’m trying to revise for my exams but I’m finding it hard to since I’ve got this on my mind.

Why didn’t I apply to Cambridge?
    • My parents thought it was for the elite only
    • The oxbridge group at my sixth form was all about debating and I didn’t like that much
    • I thought I had to take STEP to do my course, and now I found out that I didn’t need to
    • The interview process scared me, and I didn’t want to make a fool out of myself for putting myself through that to not get an offer
    • I felt like the only people that go to Cambridge are extremely clever people, and didn’t think I was clever at all
    • My teachers told me that Cambridge would suit me, but after telling them that I didn’t want to go there, they stopped encouraging me
    Why do I now regret it?
    • I don’t feel challenged enough at this uni, and the lack of pressure is not giving me a reason to be productive at all
    • There’s a lack of contact here between staff and students, and I feel that the supervisions at Cambridge would be better
    • I have a lot of friends at Cambridge, and very few here
    • Next year I’m having to live in a house in an area known for theft and attacks, however my friends at Cambridge are all in halls next year (I can’t do that here as it is for first year only)
    • Since my offer here wasn’t as high as what Cambridge would have been, I didn’t put as much effort in my a levels and then I didn’t get any of my predicted A* grades, which I would have got if I actually put effort in
    Yes, I know that I can't transfer to Cambridge and I should just drop it, but this is all that I can think about. I’ve found myself changing my mind after I make decisions, which is annoying, especially when they’re “locked in” and I can’t change anything - I firmed a different russell group and changed my offer over two weeks before results day, and I changed my mind about applying to oxbridge when it was too late - and all I ever get is this feeling of loss of control over my life. All I feel like doing is crying at the moment, and I should just really be focusing on revision but this is all I can think about.
    • Very Important Poster

Why not pack it in and apply next year if your wish is that important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why not pack it in and apply next year if your wish is that important?
    Because I'm in first year of uni already, and Cambridge don't like transfers. Also I've signed a contract on a house which would be very hard to leave. It would not be easy at all to transfer.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by anon_cambridge)
    Because I'm in first year of uni already, and Cambridge don't like transfers. Also I've signed a contract on a house which would be very hard to leave. It would not be easy at all to transfer.
    You wouldnt be a transfer though if you started from year 1?

Nah contracts on houses are easy to leave if you get a replacement.

Make up your mind. If its some lifelong passion that you will cry about every day, then do something about it. The contract excuse is poor.

Theres a risk, but you seem to think its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on the future and put some effort in. If you get a 1st, you can go to Cambridge for postgraduate study.

The user suggested dropping out and reapplying to Cambridge, not a transfer.

But yes, the situation with the house seems to justify continuing as you are. You can always apply to do a postgraduate degree there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at a russell group university studying computer science and I wish that I applied to Cambridge. I’m just putting out my thoughts here as I’m trying to revise for my exams but I’m finding it hard to since I’ve got this on my mind.

Why didn’t I apply to Cambridge?
    • My parents thought it was for the elite only
    • The oxbridge group at my sixth form was all about debating and I didn’t like that much
    • I thought I had to take STEP to do my course, and now I found out that I didn’t need to
    • The interview process scared me, and I didn’t want to make a fool out of myself for putting myself through that to not get an offer
    • I felt like the only people that go to Cambridge are extremely clever people, and didn’t think I was clever at all
    • My teachers told me that Cambridge would suit me, but after telling them that I didn’t want to go there, they stopped encouraging me
    Why do I now regret it?
    • I don’t feel challenged enough at this uni, and the lack of pressure is not giving me a reason to be productive at all
    • There’s a lack of contact here between staff and students, and I feel that the supervisions at Cambridge would be better
    • I have a lot of friends at Cambridge, and very few here
    • Next year I’m having to live in a house in an area known for theft and attacks, however my friends at Cambridge are all in halls next year (I can’t do that here as it is for first year only)
    • Since my offer here wasn’t as high as what Cambridge would have been, I didn’t put as much effort in my a levels and then I didn’t get any of my predicted A* grades, which I would have got if I actually put effort in
    Yes, I know that I can't transfer to Cambridge and I should just drop it, but this is all that I can think about. I’ve found myself changing my mind after I make decisions, which is annoying, especially when they’re “locked in” and I can’t change anything - I firmed a different russell group and changed my offer over two weeks before results day, and I changed my mind about applying to oxbridge when it was too late - and all I ever get is this feeling of loss of control over my life. All I feel like doing is crying at the moment, and I should just really be focusing on revision but this is all I can think about.
    Unless you are going to do something about this bit, there is no point at all in grieving about what might have been, and if you do decide to do something about it then check first what Cambridge's attitude is towards re-sitting. This sounds like a case of first year exam jitters and a disappointment that university doesn't measure up to what you imagined it would be like. That's pretty common, but I doubt very much that you are going to be able to solve it by dropping out and making an attempt at Cambridge which in all honesty is very unlikely to succeed. Cambridge is interested in people who got the grades the first time. Better to make a decision about which direction you are going to go in: sucking it up and making the best of what you have; dropping out altogether; or making another application to five different places after a gap year and accepting that Cambridge is unlikely and anywhere else is likely to have the same disadvantages you have found where you are. I'd go for sticking it out, personally, but you will have to decide quickly because the minute you enter into the second year where you are, you will lose your entitlement to funding for a full three year degree if you drop out and try to start again, and you will have to fund your first year yourself. This isn't a recipe for a pleasant and happy start to a new course.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Stay where you are.
    Take advantage of, and enjoy, the wider opportunities at your university.
    Get a First.

Then consider MSc at Cambridge (if it still seems important to go there, which it probably won't)
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Unless you are going to do something about this bit, there is no point at all in grieving about what might have been, and if you do decide to do something about it then check first what Cambridge's attitude is towards re-sitting. This sounds like a case of first year exam jitters and a disappointment that university doesn't measure up to what you imagined it would be like. That's pretty common, but I doubt very much that you are going to be able to solve it by dropping out and making an attempt at Cambridge which in all honesty is very unlikely to succeed. Cambridge is interested in people who got the grades the first time. Better to make a decision about which direction you are going to go in: sucking it up and making the best of what you have; dropping out altogether; or making another application to five different places after a gap year and accepting that Cambridge is unlikely and anywhere else is likely to have the same disadvantages you have found where you are. I'd go for sticking it out, personally, but you will have to decide quickly because the minute you enter into the second year where you are, you will lose your entitlement to funding for a full three year degree if you drop out and try to start again, and you will have to fund your first year yourself. This isn't a recipe for a pleasant and happy start to a new course.
    Completely agree with the above. Its just one of those times OP when you can look at your options and make a choice. If you really want the Cambirdge choice, then do something about it and do it quickly. There is no guarantee you would get in, so it would be a big risk.

Alternatively you could make the most of the degree you have started now. Not for me to suggest which choice to make, its your decision and your life. People do change courses and unis.

What I would suggest is pretty pointless is being caught in the middle, looking back and making yourself upset over something you dont intend to do anything about. That's the worst of both worlds. At all unis there are plenty of people who didnt make it into Oxbridge and there are also ones who could have gone, but chose to study where you are. A lot of Uni is what you make of it, so consider making the most of where you are and taking advanatge of the opportunities it offers. get yourself a great degree and applying as a postgrad.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Completely agree with the above. Its just one of those times OP when you can look at your options and make a choice. If you really want the Cambirdge choice, then do something about it and do it quickly. There is no guarantee you would get in, so it would be a big risk.
    Cambridge doesn't mind 1 or 2 module resits, but resitting a year will put them at a massive disadvantage.

And even then, still no guarantee Cambridge would make an offer.

I agree it's much too risky... And actually it's very likely to fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.