Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm pretty sure all students who are currently in year 10 have been told about the no textbook in exam for English literature.
    In my opinion I think it's ridiculous because the grade boundaries will be higher therefore we will have a disadvantage compared to this years year 11s because they have the textbooks in the exam and therefore are more likely to get easy marks from looking through the books to find quotes related to the question being asked whereas we have to memorise quotes from 3 books and 15 poems. What are your opinions on this? Do you think it's fair or do you think it is not fair? Btw there is a petition in regards to this in which we need 100,000 votes for the issue to be debated in parliament, currently we have 22,360 votes and need to get to 100,000 by august, so yeah if you can please sign it and spread the message please do.n The link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121692

ReputationRep:
    Yh I've seen this and signed it really do think it's ridiculous too

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous, but not impossible. If overall as a country the year performs badly the grade boundaries will be lowered anyway and with the new specification because of the difficulty of it they will be lowered.
    It's like in RS, you have to remember quotes. You don't have to remember the whole bible, you just have to learn some quotes. Thats what it will be like.
    The exam boards have thought well and hard about the new specification and they're making it more difficult to raise the standard of education in the UK because in comparison to other countries the UK performs poorly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariah2011)
    It's ridiculous, but not impossible. If overall as a country the year performs badly the grade boundaries will be lowered anyway and with the new specification because of the difficulty of it they will be lowered.
    It's like in RS, you have to remember quotes. You don't have to remember the whole bible, you just have to learn some quotes. Thats what it will be like.
    The exam boards have thought well and hard about the new specification and they're making it more difficult to raise the standard of education in the UK because in comparison to other countries the UK performs poorly.
    I think it's ridiculous too and I am also going to be sitting this exam in 2017 and I struggle with English. However, I find it nothing like RE, with RE we get given quotes and don't have to search the bible for them and we learn them in class and they're pretty self explanatory and if you remember just 4/5, one of these will pretty much be able to be applied to each question, but with English we don't know what is going to come up and therefore we need to remember loads! Also with my exam board we do a poetry question in which we have to remember 15 poems and only 2 come up🙄 and there's also an unseen poetry.😓

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolarose2468)
    So I'm pretty sure all students who are currently in year 10 have been told about the no textbook in exam for English literature.
    In my opinion I think it's ridiculous because the grade boundaries will be higher therefore we will have a disadvantage compared to this years year 11s because they have the textbooks in the exam and therefore are more likely to get easy marks from looking through the books to find quotes related to the question being asked whereas we have to memorise quotes from 3 books and 15 poems. What are your opinions on this? Do you think it's fair or do you think it is not fair? Btw there is a petition in regards to this in which we need 100,000 votes for the issue to be debated in parliament, currently we have 22,360 votes and need to get to 100,000 by august, so yeah if you can please sign it and spread the message please do.n The link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121692
    I am in year 11 and don't get the textbook for any of the books I study as WJEC don't provide the books although other exams boards like AQA do. I am sitting here memorising quotes for and surely you can do the same next year. I am quite happy I don't have to memorise 15 poems and feel quite sorry for you, but hard luck that's life you have to get on with it rather than whining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariah2011)
    i agree with you, BUT in RS you will know what topics to get quotes from i.e in init 2 R.S you will know that you should get quotes related to 4 topics. you should know the topics you will do for the exam.
    whereas in english we do not know what to memorise, therefore we are forced to memorise all the 3 books and 15 poems. Also the grade boundaries will be extremeley low. i think around 30-39% will be a grade 6 and 40-51% will be a grade 7

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.