Lolarose2468
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm pretty sure all students who are currently in year 10 have been told about the no textbook in exam for English literature.
In my opinion I think it's ridiculous because the grade boundaries will be higher therefore we will have a disadvantage compared to this years year 11s because they have the textbooks in the exam and therefore are more likely to get easy marks from looking through the books to find quotes related to the question being asked whereas we have to memorise quotes from 3 books and 15 poems. What are your opinions on this? Do you think it's fair or do you think it is not fair? Btw there is a petition in regards to this in which we need 100,000 votes for the issue to be debated in parliament, currently we have 22,360 votes and need to get to 100,000 by august, so yeah if you can please sign it and spread the message please do.n The link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121692
_.Rosesmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yh I've seen this and signed it really do think it's ridiculous too
mariah2011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's ridiculous, but not impossible. If overall as a country the year performs badly the grade boundaries will be lowered anyway and with the new specification because of the difficulty of it they will be lowered.
It's like in RS, you have to remember quotes. You don't have to remember the whole bible, you just have to learn some quotes. Thats what it will be like.
The exam boards have thought well and hard about the new specification and they're making it more difficult to raise the standard of education in the UK because in comparison to other countries the UK performs poorly.
Schoolgirl_8926
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mariah2011)
It's ridiculous, but not impossible. If overall as a country the year performs badly the grade boundaries will be lowered anyway and with the new specification because of the difficulty of it they will be lowered.
It's like in RS, you have to remember quotes. You don't have to remember the whole bible, you just have to learn some quotes. Thats what it will be like.
The exam boards have thought well and hard about the new specification and they're making it more difficult to raise the standard of education in the UK because in comparison to other countries the UK performs poorly.
I think it's ridiculous too and I am also going to be sitting this exam in 2017 and I struggle with English. However, I find it nothing like RE, with RE we get given quotes and don't have to search the bible for them and we learn them in class and they're pretty self explanatory and if you remember just 4/5, one of these will pretty much be able to be applied to each question, but with English we don't know what is going to come up and therefore we need to remember loads! Also with my exam board we do a poetry question in which we have to remember 15 poems and only 2 come up🙄 and there's also an unseen poetry.😓
Tinka99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lolarose2468)
So I'm pretty sure all students who are currently in year 10 have been told about the no textbook in exam for English literature.
In my opinion I think it's ridiculous because the grade boundaries will be higher therefore we will have a disadvantage compared to this years year 11s because they have the textbooks in the exam and therefore are more likely to get easy marks from looking through the books to find quotes related to the question being asked whereas we have to memorise quotes from 3 books and 15 poems. What are your opinions on this? Do you think it's fair or do you think it is not fair? Btw there is a petition in regards to this in which we need 100,000 votes for the issue to be debated in parliament, currently we have 22,360 votes and need to get to 100,000 by august, so yeah if you can please sign it and spread the message please do.n The link is https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121692
I am in year 11 and don't get the textbook for any of the books I study as WJEC don't provide the books although other exams boards like AQA do. I am sitting here memorising quotes for and surely you can do the same next year. I am quite happy I don't have to memorise 15 poems and feel quite sorry for you, but hard luck that's life you have to get on with it rather than whining.
DOGGYKUTHA
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mariah2011)
i agree with you, BUT in RS you will know what topics to get quotes from i.e in init 2 R.S you will know that you should get quotes related to 4 topics. you should know the topics you will do for the exam.
whereas in english we do not know what to memorise, therefore we are forced to memorise all the 3 books and 15 poems. Also the grade boundaries will be extremeley low. i think around 30-39% will be a grade 6 and 40-51% will be a grade 7
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (15)
15%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
10%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed