Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to teach yourself Poetry in 10 days (English Literature Gcse) Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's around 10 days until my Poetry exam and our teachers haven't taught it yet, so just wondering how you'd go about teaching yourself it all in 10 days or so.
    I think we're doing the Edexcel Certificate English Literature (KET0), anyones else doing this have the annotations of the poems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MariumKazmi)
    It's around 10 days until my Poetry exam and our teachers haven't taught it yet, so just wondering how you'd go about teaching yourself it all in 10 days or so.
    I think we're doing the Edexcel Certificate English Literature (KET0), anyones else doing this have the annotations of the poems?
    youtube has detailed annotations & explanations for everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameofno)
    youtube has detailed annotations & explanations for everything
    Thanks, just had a little look around Youtube and it seems like there's one person doing the poems i think we're supposed to be studying. Do you know how to answer the questions themselves though, especially the unseen poetry part of the exam. Any techniques?

ReputationRep:
    gcse pod
    it goes through each poem in a video very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, just had a little look around Youtube and it seems like there's one person doing the poems i think we're supposed to be studying. Do you know how to answer the questions themselves though, especially the unseen poetry part of the exam. Any techniques?
    im doing the IGCSE but here this vid helped me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMN3EKFdVQ and just try to practice unseen poems and texts

ReputationRep:
    also for poetry have a para for everything.
    e.g. para 1 of your answer discuss form
    para 2 discuss language
    para 3 discuss structure

things like that. make sure to mention what techniques are used e.g. simile, enjambment, and talk about the effect that these techniques creates (e.g. this simile in line 4 creates pity...) or (the use of enjambment allows the poem to flow so that blah blah blah can be conveyed)

ReputationRep:
    Mr Bruff on YouTube is really good! I use him for all the literature papers and its worth learning all the techniques! I structure mine using CATSLIP, Context, Audience, Tone/Theme, Structure, Language, Intention, Purpose

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.