Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Relationships and Mental Health
    Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

Relationships are really important in life. Whether it be the relationship between you and your best friend, or the relationship between you and your significant other. The Mental Health Foundation claims that strong, functional relationships allow us to develop better self-confidence, stress management and gives us better resilience to change.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

We've got a few threads already running about relationships and general mental health. Be sure to check them out:Tough breakup? Experience with heartbreak? Problems at home? Struggling with friends? Get involved in the conversation! Reply below or make a thread about it. Let's get people talking about mental health.

You can post anonymously here.

We've held various events and wrote about lots of different themes throughout this week. Take a look here!

:bump:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is a good theme! Think people don't realise just how much relationships can be affected by mental illness, I know I've pushed pretty much everyone away and the reason I've never been in one is probably mostly mental health too- I can't handle the idea of anyone actually liking me apart from anything else. Will be interesting to see some of the responses, they're really good threads too

Edit: hydeman you beat me to my very long-winded way of bumping it :lol:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by furryface12)
    This is a good theme! Think people don't realise just how much relationships can be affected by mental illness, I know I've pushed pretty much everyone away and the reason I've never been in one is probably mostly mental health too- I can't handle the idea of anyone actually liking me apart from anything else. Will be interesting to see some of the responses, they're really good threads too

Edit: hydeman you beat me to my very long-winded way of bumping it :lol:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    :giggle: thank you for your contribution furry! It's really interesting what mental health can do to influence our choices. :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've long been intrigued by how relationships can either build up or alternatively destroy one's mental health. Like a lot of people's mental health journeys are determined by early relationships (e.g. relationships with parents, siblings and extended family).

In my own case, relationships have both led to my destruction, but also have been my saving grace. It was an abusive relationship (term used loosely here) that caused me to develop the mental health issues that I have... yet it's the continued love from family and friends, and the nurturing professional care from psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, psychologists and colleagues, that have enabled me to rebuild my life
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's worth noting that for people with attachment issues (like me! ), relationships with anyone - regardless of who it is - can be make or break :yes:

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It's worth noting that for people with attachment issues (like me! ), relationships with anyone - regardless of who it is - can be make or break :yes:
    What are attachment issues? Tendency to become attached too easily or finding it difficult to become attached/bond? :iiam:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    What are attachment issues? Tendency to become attached too easily or finding it difficult to become attached/bond? :iiam:
    Yeah precisely! Guess which one I have?! :getmecoat:

Yeah precisely! Guess which one I have?! :getmecoat:
    The former? :hide:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The former? :hide:
    Indeed

This would probably get more attention in Chat...

Indeed
    Join the club, m'lonely goat. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Agree with this completely :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Join the club, m'lonely goat. :moon:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Agree with this completely :hugs:
    :grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I can have either. Frustrating.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Relationships have been partly what has caused my problems from a young age along with genetics, things that have happened in my life and imo, just pure bad luck but some have also been what has brought me back from my worst times too and are what keep me going. Relationships can be make or break to us all but all the more so the case when you suffer from a mental illness.

My current relationship has had it's ups and downs and me being ill hasn't helped but at the same time, its not put much strain on our relationship. I always feel like I must be a burden because of my negative attitude, my repeated obsessions and compulsions, my paranoia at times and in the past when I could go out or go to certain places because of my panics but Callan always says that of course all that has an impact on us but not in a way that affects the relationship - only in a way that hurts and distresses me and in turn him as he doesn't like to see me upset but it has no bearing on what he feels for me or the relationship. He is as cool as a cucumber and never gets stressed so he's the polar opposite to me and I think that's a big reason why we have lasted. He's brings me back down to Earth so to speak.

He's helped me a lot through my journey. He's no angel though. Sometimes he might say or do the wrong thing and he can annoy the absolute hell out of me at times but he's only human and I can't expect him to understand my conditions 100% but he tries and he's always up for learning more about them. Some people think you can't have a relationship if you suffer from mental illness - it won't last, no one will fall for you, you don't deserve to be with someone. What a lot of crap. We've been together for 7 years now and he knew about my conditions from day one and he has never left. We've outlasted all of the critics :laugh:

So please never feel like no one will love you if you suffer from any kind of illness, mental or physical. The only person who might not ever love you is yourself and you should work on changing that because having an illness doesn't make you unloveable or undesirable and soppy old me believes there's someone out there for everyone
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My wife helps me stay sane, as does my daughter.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I should probably mention my cats here too, Callan ain't getting all the credit in this relationship section :laugh:

To me, my relationship with my pets has helped me so much throughout my life, not just with my mental health journey. They've been there for me in times of joy and stress and they provide a comfort and a bond that no human can give. Its hard to explain if you're not an animal person I never had many friends growing up but I always had my pets. I grew up in a household where pets were as much a part of the family as any human member and it's still like that to this day.

Being with someone who is also an animal person and in my case, a crazy cat person is the cherry on the cake :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:grouphugs:
    No, really. I'm asking you to join my new club: M'Lonely Goat*. We'll be dominating the London club scene in no time! :hippie:

*any resemblance to any person, real or virtual, is entirely coincidental and definitely not an intentional ploy to crack a terrible joke.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, really. I'm asking you to join my new club: M'Lonely Goat*. We'll be dominating the London club scene in no time! :hippie:

*any resemblance to any person, real or virtual, is entirely coincidental and definitely not an intentional ploy to crack a terrible joke.
    :teehee: :ahee:

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My wife has been truly amazing over the years. She's put up with so much crap from me yet continues to stand by me and is always there when I ask for her help. Even when I don't ask, she's there too

I think relationships can be really hard when one of the participants has a mental illness. I was still s/hing when I met her, as well as drinking a lot and generally just doing really badly. But she picked me up and hasn't let go - I tried a number of times to end the relationship as I believed she was "too good" for me and I wanted her to be happy and treated well by someone else, but each time she refused to let me go and I am incredibly thankful for that. We've been married 3 years now and often I still feel like I must be dreaming. I think the biggest bit of advice I can give to other people with mental illness is to trust your significant other. When I'm hearing voices or believing whatever comes to mind, I have to rely on her to get me through. Sometimes I feel bad about that reliance but without her I don't know what I'd do. Mental illness can really **** with your mind (thanks Captain Obvious!) but if you have that trust there it is so helpful to getting through daily life. This all sounds very one-sided but she appreciates me too; I may not always be there 100% but I do try and we get on so well and have such a strong relationship, I'm really a very lucky bugger.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.