Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could it damage my ears or impair my hearing if I have my head phones on full blast? I do it for house listening to music and sometime when I take the head phones off my ears are sore and aching.

ReputationRep:
    No, I listen to metal music full volume with a volume boosting headphone amp and can hear perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    Long term yes, there are plenty of studies proving this.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ofc it will.

ReputationRep:
    i listen to music too loud whilst studying.

probs will damage ur ears lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    i listen to music too loud whilst studying.

probs will damage ur ears lol
    So you do a have a pain in my ear when I take the head phones off? Or have them on too long? Maybe I need new head phones?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Clockrice)
    So you do a have a pain in my ear when I take the head phones off? Or have them on too long? Maybe I need new head phones?
    That just sounds like uncomfy headphones. Damaging your actual hearing could take place years later.

ReputationRep:
    i dont ever get pains in my ears, im perfectly fine
    i just prefer earphones rather than headphones tbh

infact rn im listening to music on volume 76 for the past 3 hrs lol

ReputationRep:
    when I take the head phones off my ears are saw and aching.
    *sore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That just sounds like uncomfy headphones. Damaging your actual hearing could take place years later.
    Yeah, that could be it. They aren't high quality, just cheap. I need more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    *sore
    I shall change that for you.

ReputationRep:
    I shall change that for you.
    :ahee:

But yeah, answering the question, long term it will do damage. But just now and again should be fine :cute:

Your ears hurting after listening generally isn't a great sign

ReputationRep:
    Yes, listening to loud music for a prolonged amount of time will make your hearing worse later in life.

I'm worried...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone saying things like "I do it and my hearing is fine" and "It matters later on" are complete idiots. Loud music will give you hearing loss and likely tinnitus.

In fact it would probably do you all some good to experience temporary tinnitus so you know what you're getting yourself into if you continue with your ways.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ouldnt-6164016

http://www.healthyhearing.com/report...how-to-stop-it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...-to-death.html

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, when you are younger you do not realise the damage you will do to your hearing but using loud headphones/earphones will most certainly damage your hearing and you may find as you get older that you struggle to hear conversations, especially so in a group or crowd with background noise.

ReputationRep:
    I used to always have my earphones on full blast and developed a perforated ear drum which would regularly rupture in my right ear. That was no fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It certainly will cause damage, even if it doesn't seem like it. Using earbuds rather than headphones is not a good idea as it pushes wax to the back of the ear which then becomes hard layers and won't move out naturally, and can affect your hearing too. Perforated ear drums will lead to an extended period of hearing loss and are really nasty. If you must listen to loud music, headphones are the way to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.