Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Wetherspoons doesn't pay overtime.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at wetherspoons and asked whether its easy to get overtime. i meant to say ETXRA HOURS/SHIFTS, but im a dumbass and somehow said overtime instead. to which the manager replied 'overtime is not paid'. i was like oh okay, i actually meant extra shifts blah blah blah

but i was like WTF inside my head. you mean you make people work for free? lol, goodbye *****.

anyways, i have a job offer from KFC so i guess i will just have to take that, at least i actually get paid instead of being used as free slave labour. im devastated though as i am desperate to get away from customer service jobs which is why i applied to the wetherspoons kitchen...

But still, I cant get that out of my head, this guy legit told me they dont pay overtime. It seems strange that he admitted that in a job interview....
    Isnt that illegal???? I'm like 99% sure thats illegal if you are getting by an hourly rate and you dont get paid for all the hours you did.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure he means that overtime isn't paid at a different rate. Obviously overtime is never guaranteed but an employer isn't forced to pay it at a different wage compared to your contracted hours pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomFitness)
    I'm pretty sure he means that overtime isn't paid at a different rate. Obviously overtime is never guaranteed but an employer isn't forced to pay it at a different wage compared to your contracted hours pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, he legit said 'Overtime isn't paid.' I have since been reading about wetherspoons on online forums/glassdoor and several people have mentioned the fact that if they don't finish by x time, they have to stay behind sometimes several hours unpaid. I don't know how they get away with this. Where I currently work, you get paid for every minute you work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    No, he legit said 'Overtime isn't paid.' I have since been reading about wetherspoons on online forums/glassdoor and several people have mentioned the fact that if they don't finish by x time, they have to stay behind sometimes several hours unpaid. I don't know how they get away with this. Where I currently work, you get paid for every minute you work.
    That's the same for myself although if I was too arrive for a shift early and clocked in they would change it to the actual start time. Genuinely didn't think that was even legal? Did they offer you contracted hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's the same for myself although if I was too arrive for a shift early and clocked in they would change it to the actual start time. Genuinely didn't think that was even legal? Did they offer you contracted hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooo, wetherspoons only do zero hour contracts...lol

ReputationRep:
    That would explain it then. They technically do pay overtime as they'll give u a rota for the week and you'll get paid for the hours which they've scheduled you. If you were on an 8 hour contract and worked 12 hours they'd have to pay you for the 8 hours plus the 4 hours at the same rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That would explain it then. They technically do pay overtime as they'll give u a rota for the week and you'll get paid for the hours which they've scheduled you. If you were on an 8 hour contract and worked 12 hours they'd have to pay you for the 8 hours plus the 4 hours at the same rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you being paid by Wetherspoons to do damage control or something? Or do you just genuinly don't understand 'you have to work for free if you work at Wetherspoons'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    Are you being paid by Wetherspoons to do damage control or something? Or do you just genuinly don't understand 'you have to work for free if you work at Wetherspoons'?
    Hmmm not sure if trolling or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.