The Student Room Group

Exam stress: When it gets too much

Exam Stress
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

Exam time can be a very stressful one. It affects us all differently. Sometimes, people find it more difficult than others. ChildLine ran a National Exam Stress Survey and found that 96% of the 1300 who took part in the survey felt anxious about exams and revision. 59% felt pressure from their parents to succeed and 64% felt they have never received any support in dealing with exams.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

Exam stress is something everyone’s struggled with at some point, but sometimes it gets too much. Everyone deals with it differently but at this time of year when time’s short, everyone else seems to be doing more than you and family and teachers are adding pressure things can start to get out of hand. Everything from the rest of the year somehow becomes worse, and at this point your physical and mental health can start to become a problem.

If you can't start revising...

...Or if you can't stop

On the day of exam

At the end of the day, whatever it feels like at the time exam results are not the end of the world. There's always another way to get somewhere and your health is far more important than anything else- they are not worth making yourself ill over, trust me I've been there! If they are starting to affect your life, relationships, sleep or general well-being then it's time to seek help. This could take the form of going to see your GP, speaking to student support at your school or university or opening up to a teacher, friend or relative. Childline and Nightline are also there to talk to, and have instant messaging services if you don't want to speak out loud. The mental health forum on TSR isn't the worse place to come either! Whoever you choose, a problem shared is a problem halved :smile:

How do you cope with exam stress?
What tips do you have other people when it's getting too much?
How do you relax in exam time, is there anything you do differently to the rest of the year?

If there's anything you struggle with in particular feel free to post below and hopefully people can come up with some solutions for you. Most of all, good luck!

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
x

Amazing thread furry! :excited: Really great advice :yep:
Reply 2
Mmm, I either can't start, or can't stop.

Great advice! Exam in 2 days lol.
Original post by Yammy
Mmm, I either can't start, or can't stop.

Great advice! Exam in 2 days lol.

Most people are one or the other! You get the best (or worst...) of both worlds then :tongue:

Good luck for your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest