Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A) do you eat honey?

B) would you eat eggs and dairy if they were from a completely cruelty free source, such as your own pet chicken?

ReputationRep:
    A) No.

B) I would eat eggs from a cruelty free source and probably cheese too, never liked milk plus there are better/healthier vegan versions.

Veganism is about morality, the diet is just a part of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    Veganism is about morality, the diet is just a part of it.
    Not necessarily, for some people it is nothing to do with morality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Not necessarily, for some people it is nothing to do with morality.
    Some people call themselves vegetarians and still eat fish. Veganism is about avoiding anything that has to do with animal exploitation, the term has been *******ized because most people do it for trendy and/or health reasons. People call themselves vegan when they only apply the concept to their diet (and even that is half-assed most of the time) because it's the ''it'' thing right now. That and most people don't understand the concept in the first place.

It's like some middle class american housewife who calls herself a buddhist while following or understanding maybe 10% of the religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    Some people call themselves vegetarians and still eat fish. Veganism is about avoiding anything that has to do with animal exploitation, the term has been *******ized because most people do it for trendy and/or health reasons. People call themselves vegan when they only apply the concept to their diet (and even that is half-assed most of the time) because it's the ''it'' thing right now. That and most people don't understand the concept in the first place.

It's like some middle class american housewife who calls herself a buddhist while following or understanding maybe 10% of the religion.
    It isn't a difficult concept. The term was initially coined to refer to "non-dairy vegetarianism" and, if you want to get picky, was then *******ised to refer to people whose moral viewpoints must form a part of their veganism.

I feel completely comfortable using the word "vegan" to describe anyone who follows that diet, regardless or their ethical opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Yes

ReputationRep:
    A) I do not eat honey

B) I would with eggs, knowing the chickens would live long and happy lives but not for other animal products as they do not just occur without human intervention as chickens are going to lay eggs regardless

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys eat synthetic lab meat?
    The vegan society defines "vegan" as
    Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
    So technically it is vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    It isn't a difficult concept. The term was initially coined to refer to "non-dairy vegetarianism" and, if you want to get picky, was then *******ised to refer to people whose moral viewpoints must form a part of their veganism.

I feel completely comfortable using the word "vegan" to describe anyone who follows that diet, regardless or their ethical opinions.
    Thanks for that info, I had no idea. I've been a vegan for 15 years and when I started I didn't even know there was a name for it (2001 eastern europe wasn't exactly the place to be if you were an ''alternative''). I guess you do learn something new everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    Would you guys eat synthetic lab meat?
    The vegan society defines "vegan" as
    Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
    So technically it is vegan
    Since there is no animal exploitation involved, it wouldn't be a moral issue (though it could still ''feel wrong'' for many). Being vegan is about the heart of the law, not the letter. You could eat roadkill and cal yourself vegan for all I care (even though i would find it groce/10).

ReputationRep:
    I do not eat honey, and no I wouldn't eat eggs or dairy even if they had come from a cruelty free source because even though its cruelty free which is great it still would gross me out

ReputationRep:
    i want to be vegan this year at some point, ive scrapped all milk from my diet and am slowly scrapping the rest (currently vegetarian)

a) idk why honey is not vegan but i'll say no
    b) yeah i have chickens in my garden and it is basically me who looks after them so i know that they are cared for <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    i want to be vegan this year at some point, ive scrapped all milk from my diet and am slowly scrapping the rest (currently vegetarian)

a) idk why honey is not vegan but i'll say no
    b) yeah i have chickens in my garden and it is basically me who looks after them so i know that they are cared for <3
    bees are (depending on your viewpoint) exploited in the process of making honey, so it's on the fence for some.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    No - dairy is pretty bad health wise so wouldn't want to consume it in those grounds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    a - if it was the last sweetener on earth but maple syrup and golden syrup is so much better!

b - I have my own chickens but I eat their periods extremely rarely. No chance i'll drink cows milk though, it's not good for you, contains pus and yuck and it's not natural for us

ReputationRep:
    Just interested in what would be a vegan "naughty" food/treat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    Not vegan personally, but..

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=273949462 <3

I've found that more "normal" snacks are vegan than you realise.
    Pretty sure those cookies are (which I personally love!) , most crisps, oreos. There's a whole list of other supermarket foods here;

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/44-accid...n-snack-foods/

As for the actual question, if I was vegan I would not eat honey but possibly eggs if I looked after my own chickens and knew 100% they were well looked after and die from natural causes (i.e. not slaughter - and I would not eat other types of dairy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    A kitten.

They're allowed an "off" day once in a while

ReputationRep:
    A) no
    B) no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.