Hijabs are designed to make you appear less human Watch

This discussion is closed.
havealarger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The black bed sheets and sandals you wear around on a hot sunny day like today are designed to make you appear less human to anybody who even dares think about looking at you. It's an advert for Don't look at me, I am a walking black bed sheet ghost living in the free world of democratic rights.
mkap
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
why does no one have this problem with nuns? they practically dress the same. lol.

KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mkap)
why does no one have this problem with nuns? they practically dress the same. lol.

The nun probably won't get shunned by her family and community if she didn't wear that....................
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KimKallstrom)
The nun probably won't get shunned by her family and community if she didn't wear that....................
Westerners are such hypocrites- look this woman's covered up too but nobodys saying she's oppressed!

EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, I don't think some girls understand that wearing a hijab makes people look at you more. My eye is certainly draw to them more, just like other people have told me the same. So it achieves the opposite in my opinion.
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mkap)

It's about choice.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't have a problem with people choosing to cover up for religious reasons, but I don't understand why they go for something so bland.

Cover up like this and live a little.

Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Westerners are such hypocrites- look this woman's covered up too but nobodys saying she's oppressed!
They wear the clothes for different reasons, obviously.

The western hijab wearer has a number of messages to give: I am different from you; I hold specific superstitious beliefs, which set me above you; do not approach me as I fear you cannot do anything other than treat me as a sex object; I do not wish a normal friendly relationship to develop into something more sexual; I may have been bullied into wearing this by my friends and family.

The nun has devoted her life to her superstitious beliefs and has a similar message, though she is a nun voluntarily.

The medical professional or laboratory worker is merely protecting her own health and that of the patient from infection or contagion and the only message being sent is one of professional competence and care.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
They wear the clothes for different reasons, obviously.

The western hijab wearer has a number of messages to give: I am different from you; I hold specific superstitious beliefs, which set me above you; do not approach me as I fear you cannot do anything other than treat me as a sex object; I do not wish a normal friendly relationship to develop into something more sexual; I may have been bullied into wearing this by my friends and family.

The nun has devoted her life to her superstitious beliefs and has a similar message, though she is a nun voluntarily.

The medical professional or laboratory worker is merely protecting her own health and that of the patient from infection or contagion and the only message being sent is one of professional competence and care.

champ_mc99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why do you speak as though every girl who wears it was forced by their parents. I know loads of Muslim girls that dont wear it.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
True.
otah007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I know a great deal of hijab-wearing Muslims personally, and I can say that you are wrong. Their message is simple: I am a Muslim. That is all. Some women are forced, but many more wear it out of choice. The don't fear being treated as a sex object, although it is true that they 'do not wish a normal friendly relationship to develop into something more sexual' as adultery and fornication are against Islam's teachings of sex within marriage. They don't feel different, they don't feel pressured, they don't feel superior - if anything they feel proud that they choose what they wear rather than mindlessly conforming to fashion as so many others do.
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by champ_mc99)
Why do you speak as though every girl who wears it was forced by their parents. I know loads of Muslim girls that dont wear it.
I think most are through tbh. Especially the ones that have been wearing since young.
chemting
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In a free world, one is free to wear 'black bed sheets' and white duvets and yellow pillows. and I respect their right to. So don't bring this "free and democratic" nonsense.

My only problem is the societal pressures that many (not all, probably not even most westerners - maybe) muslimahs feel to wear it. and the insistent that one type of clothing is inherently better than another and that makes one a better person...

Also, the claim that its for modesty whilst wearing designer hijabs and latest abayas and Maybelline make up and ... yeah

Also, all men will look at you sexually if one doesn't ...?

Also, dat sweet wrapper analogy...
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by otah007)
if anything they feel proud.
And pride does not involve a feeling of superiority?
sfaraj
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
its true guys i wear it so i dont look human!
Spoiler:
Show
because it not human to have voldermort living in the back of your head
otah007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And pride does not involve a feeling of superiority?
No, it doesn't.

Pride: 'A feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.'
Superiority: 'A supercilious manner or attitude.'
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mkap)

A nun is a "professional". It's like a uniform.

And when was the last time you saw a nun? It was at least 5 years ago for me.
champ_mc99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by loveleest)
I think most are through tbh. Especially the ones that have been wearing since young.
All parents have the right to teach their religious values to their children and let them go when older. This happens with Christian people to. All girls I know wear it out of choice.
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What happened to being allowed to wear what you want in this society? 🤔 Or does that only apply when dressing (objectively) less modest? 🤔
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.79%
They might tell the bully (28)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.71%
It might lead to more bullying (105)
37.5%
There's nothing they could do (84)
30%

Watched Threads