Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any idea??

ReputationRep:
    I think its really hard to tell, all I can work out is my maximum mark, but I bet I made loads of silly mistakes

ReputationRep:
    i found it really hard lol

ReputationRep:
    Yup, me too. I sat there during all of it thinking 'I'm failing' . Then I tried one question and thought 'too hard' went to the next question etc and it was too hard AGAIN lol!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too. The 4th and last question were the ones I couldn't do, just ended up messing around with those for the last hour or so. It took me a while to spot the link between the binomial series expansion and the sum, but all-in-all, I thought they were much harder than the past papers, disappointed because I need it for my offer as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard1024)
    Yeah me too. The 4th and last question were the ones I couldn't do, just ended up messing around with those for the last hour or so. It took me a while to spot the link between the binomial series expansion and the sum, but all-in-all, I thought they were much harder than the past papers, disappointed because I need it for my offer as well
    Offer what what course/uni?

ReputationRep:
    I got 89 marks out of 100 last year. Does it still count? By the way, AEA marks are not scaled up or down. The result won't appear on your result slip, but you can find out exactly how many you have scored early next year from your teacher or may be a senior member of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    Offer what what course/uni?
    Computer Science at Cambridge. I need AAAB + Merit in AEA Maths. Hopefully I might just snag a merit, but I did STEP 1 as well (they said they might look at that if I didn't get the AEA) and I did 4 and 1/2 questions on STEP 1, so it might not be that bad.

ReputationRep:
    So which did you find harder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini)
    So which did you find harder?
    I found the radius of the circle one hard, think I know how to do that now... and I didn't have much luck with the last one on the triangle (I think you might have needed to know the circle theorems and I can't remember those very well). You?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I meant STEP or AEA.
    Well, I found the spotting the mistake the hardest question cos I just kept on skimming over the mistake, doh :mad: ! Then I didn't even try the rest of the question, but the annoying thing is if I'd spotted the mistake I could have done most of that easily (though its easy to say that once you're out of the exam) . I felt so silly when I realised what the mistake was . I found that circle question really hard too though... I really couldn't see what arctan had to do with the rest of the question.
    The worst thing about it was that someone I know who took the exam, said they found it (and I quote) "very easy".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini)
    Oh I meant STEP or AEA.
    Well, I found the spotting the mistake the hardest question cos I just kept on skimming over the mistake, doh :mad: ! Then I didn't even try the rest of the question, but the annoying thing is if I'd spotted the mistake I could have done most of that easily (though its easy to say that once you're out of the exam) . I felt so silly when I realised what the mistake was . I found that circle question really hard too though... I really couldn't see what arctan had to do with the rest of the question.
    The worst thing about it was that someone I know who took the exam, said they found it (and I quote) "very easy".
    I found STEP easier than the AEA I think. Yeah that was annoying, I had an idea where the arctan would come from but couldn't do the first part and I think that limited my understanding of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    why do they have aea and step math, why cant people just do further maths? whats the difference?

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is additional content, aea and step are just harder questions, supposadley utilising the same techniques.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard1024)
    Computer Science at Cambridge. I need AAAB + Merit in AEA Maths. Hopefully I might just snag a merit, but I did STEP 1 as well (they said they might look at that if I didn't get the AEA) and I did 4 and 1/2 questions on STEP 1, so it might not be that bad.
    May I ask which college you are going to? I got an offer from Pembroke AAA in computing, further maths and physics + no other stuff. If STEP is anything to go by, you probably should have set STEP II.

(Original post by janon)
    Further maths is additional content, aea and step are just harder questions, supposadley utilising the same techniques.
    There are three papers of STEP available and they get progressively harder. While paper I and II are designed for normal maths people, you don't need to know anything beyond P3 to do the questions. However, STEP III requires you to know all the stuff that's covered in the further syllabus and the questions are damn hard.

ReputationRep:
    The college is Gonville & Caius, yeah I thought I should have sat one of the harder step papers but our maths department just entered the four that took it into step 1 without asking us (so maybe it was the school's policy for some reason), but then again, I wasn't asked to take step in my offer and I didn't really have that much time to prepare for step anyway, so it could have been much worse for step 2 or even step 3.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.