Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to take GCSE drama as it is something im interested in, im at an arts school so im in the perfect place to study for it and it is along the lines of the future career i want. However, if i take drama i cant take geography, something i am interested in but i may not use in the future. Im tied at the moment between doing something i want and what i feel the universities would want!
    Help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, which other options are you choosing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dulchieb)
    I want to take GCSE drama as it is something im interested in, im at an arts school so im in the perfect place to study for it and it is along the lines of the future career i want. However, if i take drama i cant take geography, something i am interested in but i may not use in the future. Im tied at the moment between doing something i want and what i feel the universities would want!
    Help!
    Hiya
    Out of the people I know who took drama, there have been some very mixed responses; it's very different at GCSE because of the theory side and the pressure involved with each performance, however if you are attending an Arts school then I imagine it will be handled much better than at my school by the teachers anyway.

I'd say that if drama is related to your future career, then that would support the degree you are taking at university (presuming that is also related to said career) better than geography.

At the end of the day it's got to be your own decision, but I'd also mention that while I know people who didn't take drama at GCSE but have applied to take it at A Level, certainly at my school's sixth form you needed to take geography at GCSE in order to take it at A Level, however again that may be different at your school.

I'm not sure if that was helpful or not, I just thought I'd share a few experiences from people I know who took those options at GCSE If you're certain that you want to do a drama-related career in the future, then I'd say go for drama. It's really your A Levels that count at universities; they know that people are still exploring what they want to be and who they are at GCSE.

Also, don't stress out about it too much because if you take one and change your mind a couple of weeks in, there's still time to switch to the other!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi, which other options are you choosing?
    I'm taking Visual Art and Design which is the subject I was accepted on but I am also taking triple Science. Geography and Drama are for my 3rd option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Hiya
    Out of the people I know who took drama, there have been some very mixed responses; it's very different at GCSE because of the theory side and the pressure involved with each performance, however if you are attending an Arts school then I imagine it will be handled much better than at my school by the teachers anyway.

I'd say that if drama is related to your future career, then that would support the degree you are taking at university (presuming that is also related to said career) better than geography.

At the end of the day it's got to be your own decision, but I'd also mention that while I know people who didn't take drama at GCSE but have applied to take it at A Level, certainly at my school's sixth form you needed to take geography at GCSE in order to take it at A Level, however again that may be different at your school.

I'm not sure if that was helpful or not, I just thought I'd share a few experiences from people I know who took those options at GCSE If you're certain that you want to do a drama-related career in the future, then I'd say go for drama. It's really your A Levels that count at universities; they know that people are still exploring what they want to be and who they are at GCSE.

Also, don't stress out about it too much because if you take one and change your mind a couple of weeks in, there's still time to switch to the other!

Good luck
    Thank you so much this was really helpful! Its theory side of the drama that is worrying me at the moment as I have no experience with that but then with geography I am also taking triple science (Geography is like a similar to science to me!) and this might be too much science in one week. But it was very comforting to know that they might let me swap GCSEs if I decide earlier on. I hadn't even considered that! As for my future career I'm mainly looking into the production side of film but I do fancy acting despite it being a hard business to get into.

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dulchieb)
    I'm taking Visual Art and Design which is the subject I was accepted on but I am also taking triple Science. Geography and Drama are for my 3rd option.
    I think that you should choose whichever you think you would do better in - if you think you'd do better in Drama, then choose that. Like the above poster said, your A Level choices are more important than your GCSE choices

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.