Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls advice: What coIour should I dip dye my hair (black hair)? Watch

Chat and Fashion forums wouldn’t let me post anonymously, sorry.

I was thinking of going either red or a pastel colour but I don’t know if it’d suit my skin.

At the minute my hair is dip dyed a chestnut-type colour so it’d lift to a light shade if I wanted it to.

Thanks

http://uploadpie.com/Diqvc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Chat and Fashion forums wouldn’t let me post anonymously, sorry.

I was thinking of going either red or a pastel colour but I don’t know if it’d suit my skin.

At the minute my hair is dip dyed a chestnut-type colour so it’d lift to a light shade if I wanted it to.

Thanks

http://uploadpie.com/Diqvc
    I have black hair too and am a few shades darker than you and I always thought that blue/purple would look quite nice.

My mum once had her hair highlighted a red colour and she is the same skin tone as you and it worked quite well, probably because red seems to suit browny complexions If you want, you can always try photoshopping an existing picture of yourself to see which colours suit you?

Ooo so you say you've dip dyed it chesnut, basically, I was thinking of cutting my hair till its just about 2 inches below my shoulder and I was then thinking of maybe dip dying it or ombreing it (pretty sure I spelt that wrong) to a lighter brown shade and since you've already had it dip dyed, would you suggest that this was a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I have black hair too and am a few shades darker than you and I always thought that blue/purple would look quite nice.

My mum once had her hair highlighted a red colour and she is the same skin tone as you and it worked quite well, probably because red seems to suit browny complexions If you want, you can always try photoshopping an existing picture of yourself to see which colours suit you?

Ooo so you say you've dip dyed it chesnut, basically, I was thinking of cutting my hair till its just about 2 inches below my shoulder and I was then thinking of maybe dip dying it or ombreing it (pretty sure I spelt that wrong) to a lighter brown shade and since you've already had it dip dyed, would you suggest that this was a good idea?
    Thanks for your response. I think I’m gonna go for a pastel colour and, if I don’t like it, I can always go over it with something darker.

I think it would look nice but just be careful with the bleaching, especially if you’re planning on doing it yourself. I’d probably recommend going to the hairdressers first time round. The bleach made my hair go really dry and almost straw-like. I’ve started using a deep-conditioning treatment, once a week. Sometimes, I’ll put coconut oil in my hair before I wash it. I also use some sort of serum or dry oil after it’s washed. Oh and I got loads of split ends from the bleaching/dying process as well.

The thing is that I never intended to have chestnut hair. I asked the hairdresser for a purple dip dye (this is when my hair was all black). They bleached my black hair and it went a horrible orangey colour. Then they added the purple dye. The end result was more of a reddish colour which has now faded to a sort of chestnut colour. It was all an accident haha. I was quite disappointed at the time because I paid like £50 (for a dip-dye) and it didn’t even turn out right. On top of that the whole thing took over 3 hours.

(oh well that was an anon-fail)

ReputationRep:
    This is from a guy with no fashion sense whatsoever:
    Go nuts! Purple bangs! Bronzed Tips! Have fun, because why not

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.