The Student Room Group

I'm on the road of failing my GCSE'S

I have my GCSE exams which are going to start in 2 days time and I literally I have done barely and revision. I have made a revision time table months ago and I tried sticking to it but it never really worked. I gave my phone, ipad and laptop to my parents because I'm literally addicted to online and I wanted to focus when I revise. However I managed to find another one of my phones and I use that instead. I know that I'm cheating my self but I can't help it. When I'm online I get carried away watching hours of youtube videos, reading stuff online and other stuff like that. I can't even help it. When I do revise I find it VERY VERY VERY hard to concentrate and I rather be online forgetting that I have exams. I'm seriously stressed out right now and I know that I shouldn't even be on TSR right now. I'm and A/B grade student and that's what I've been getting and I know that I wouldn't get that at this rate.I don't even know how to revise, I tried flashcards, mindmaps, past papers, reading from my revision book and nothing seems to get in my head. What do I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ariqueen14
I have my GCSE exams which are going to start in 2 days time and I literally I have done barely and revision. I have made a revision time table months ago and I tried sticking to it but it never really worked. I gave my phone, ipad and laptop to my parents because I'm literally addicted to online and I wanted to focus when I revise. However I managed to find another one of my phones and I use that instead. I know that I'm cheating my self but I can't help it. When I'm online I get carried away watching hours of youtube videos, reading stuff online and other stuff like that. I can't even help it. When I do revise I find it VERY VERY VERY hard to concentrate and I rather be online forgetting that I have exams. I'm seriously stressed out right now and I know that I shouldn't even be on TSR right now. I don't even know how to revise, I tried flashcards, mindmaps, past papers, reading from my revision book and nothing seems to get in my head. What do I do?

What's your first exam?
Reply 2
Original post by luciie
What's your first exam?

the edexcel igcse biology on tuesday
I have my GCSE exams which are going to start in 2 days time and I literally I have done barely and revision. I have made a revision time table months ago and I tried sticking to it but it never really worked. I gave my phone, ipad and laptop to my parents because I'm literally addicted to online and I wanted to focus when I revise. However I managed to find another one of my phones and I use that instead. I know that I'm cheating my self but I can't help it. When I'm online I get carried away watching hours of youtube videos, reading stuff online and other stuff like that. I can't even help it. When I do revise I find it VERY VERY VERY hard to concentrate and I rather be online forgetting that I have exams. I'm seriously stressed out right now and I know that I shouldn't even be on TSR right now. I don't even know how to revise, I tried flashcards, mindmaps, past papers, reading from my revision book and nothing seems to get in my head. What do I do?

You can still get pretty OK grades from not revising and just relying on things you were taught during lessons. You may not get A*s and As, but you still might be able to get some Bs and Cs. Don't worry though - GCSE's are not the be all and end all of your life and there are so many alternatives for education which don't rely massively on exams and revision.
Reply 4
Original post by george_c00per
You can still get pretty OK grades from not revising and just relying on things you were taught during lessons. You may not get A*s and As, but you still might be able to get some Bs and Cs. Don't worry though - GCSE's are not the be all and end all of your life and there are so many alternatives for education which don't rely massively on exams and revision.

yh i guess, but i still want to do good in them and it's my own fault, do you have any revsion tips?
GivE up you phone and go to the library. 2 full days is enough time to revise for an average grade. I find sitting at the library makes it easier to concentrate as everyone else is revising also. I usually give my iPad and phone to my siblings and let them use them for the day as if I leave the devices on their own I will just end up on them again, saying to myself that it'll be just a quick scroll through Instagram but before I know it I've watched 3 hours of you tube videos. When I give them to another person to use I can't do that as someone else is using it. This is what works for me. As for revising I'm not sure, I usually look at my notes condense them memorise and try and rewrite them using a small dry erase white board. Anything I stupruggle to remember I write down on a post it or flash card and constantly read over them whenever I'm free eg on the bus in the car before a lesson starts before bed. Then before the exam I go over exam questions to make sure I know everything. Just get the spec for each of your subjects and work your way through making sure you have at least a basic understanding of everything then attempt a few practice questions. Hope this helped
yh i guess, but i still want to do good in them and it's my own fault, do you have any revsion tips?

The only way of revision I actually enjoy doing (for some reason) is past papers. For biology, maybe find 2 past papers and do them tomorrow? You'll get a feel of what questions they'll ask. Mark it with the mark scheme to see what the markers are looking for as well.
Same, I've done exactly what you've done and Iv'e got my biology on Tuesday.

try to do as many past papers as possibly from the edexcel website. sorry you said that wasn't working so try watching videos instead and writing down at the end of each video what exactly it is that you've just learnt etc

try learning a topic and asking somebody to ask you questions on it, your more likely to remember the topic.
Reply 8
Original post by Sapphire8495
Same, I've done exactly what you've done and Iv'e got my biology on Tuesday.

try to do as many past papers as possibly from the edexcel website. sorry you said that wasn't working so try watching videos instead and writing down at the end of each video what exactly it is that you've just learnt etc

try learning a topic and asking somebody to ask you questions on it, your more likely to remember the topic.

I'll try that, ty:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest