Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm writing to ask some information about the reference letter and how to chose a referee. I'm an EU and mature student and about to send an application for this year. The problem is that since I have been out of school for almost 5 years I don't have a teacher able to write my fererence letter. I cannot ask my current employer even, since she doesn't know I'm applying to go and study abroad. Can a private tutor that has been following me for the last months or maybe a work collegue from my previous job write it? I have everything ready, grades and personal statement, the only thing is this. Otherwise I don't have anyone, but I know that having a reference gives more chances to be accepted! Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to ask your previous teachers for a reference? If the only reason is that they may not remember you, then it's still worth giving it a shot. You might be surprised how much your previous lecturers may remember even if you didn't do anything special!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kiki4ever)
    A tutor and a work colleague would probably suffice, though a current work manager would be preferable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.