The Student Room Group

C1 Maths extra practise

Scroll to see replies

cant solve it atm but multiply the whole thing by the denominator with a flipped sign so - to + then simplify it? is that correct?
Reply 21
Original post by not_lucas1
cant solve it atm but multiply the whole thing by the denominator with a flipped sign so - to + then simplify it? is that correct?

Not quite. This is an example where you need to rationalise twice.

BTW: Did you see my earlier link?
Reply 22
Original post by SeanFM
Here is a question for you to try :h:

A sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2,... a_0, a_1, a_2, ... is given by an+1=2an+64n a_{n+1} = 2a_{n} + 6 - 4n.

Given that a2=6a_2 = 6, find a1a_1 and a3a_3.

Hence find the value of i=110ai\sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i}.

Hence, or otherwise, find the value of i=010ai\sum_{i=0}^{10} a_{i}.

Jeeeeeeeesus, you have to do that in core1 in your exam board?! That's core2 for me
I'm so glad to have MEI :burnout:
Original post by C-rated
Jeeeeeeeesus, you have to do that in core1 in your exam board?! That's core2 for me
I'm so glad to have MEI :burnout:

I do not think anything like that would be asked in an exam, it's just an extension question to test people on arithmetic series, recurrence relations and sum notation :tongue:

I think MEI is more of a pain from what I've heard :tongue: not in AS but with a comprehension paper in A2 + coursework or something like that.
Reply 24
Original post by SeanFM
I do not think anything like that would be asked in an exam, it's just an extension question to test people on arithmetic series, recurrence relations and sum notation :tongue:

I think MEI is more of a pain from what I've heard :tongue: not in AS but with a comprehension paper in A2 + coursework or something like that.

The coursework is total bs, but the comprehension paper is alright. Both are only worth 6.6666% of the total grade put together though :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
On the mean side, but whatever - show that:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} - 1}{\sqrt{3} - \sqrt{6} + 1} = 2 + a\sqrt{2} + b\sqrt{3} + c\sqrt{6}\end{equation*}

where a,b,ca,b,c are integers to be determined.

Er are these the correct answers:
I probably messed up somewhere :/

Spoiler

Reply 26
Original post by Someboady

Spoiler

Not quite, but very close.
Original post by C-rated
The coursework is total bs, but the comprehension paper is alright. Both are only worth 6.6666% of the total grade put together though :tongue:

Eeek, I see. I don't know how difficult they are (it looks pretty difficult :s-smilie:). But I guess that's some good news for people trying to get an A*.
Oops - my question is slightly incorrect, hang on a second :colondollar:

Rationalise 5+353\frac{5 + \sqrt{3}}{5 - \sqrt{3}}

Hence, or otherwise, find the equation of the tangent at the point (22,10) on the line given by the equation y=2.5+0.5353x234x+3841103y= \frac{2.5 + 0.5\sqrt{3}}{5 - \sqrt{3}}x^2 - 34x + 384 - 110\sqrt3

Original post by Someboady

Spoiler

Original post by imran_
Hi, im resitting C1 this year and aiming for at least 95%
ive finished ALL past papers from edexcel and ALL solomon papers
coming close to the exam does anyone have any good resources to revise c1 from?
ive tried MADASMATHS papers and some of the questions being asked are ridiculously weird

Try that if you want, but no pressure - it looks scarier than it is, especially the equation :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
a=1
b=1
c=1

This was a nasty question and I'm not too sure about the answer but this is what I got 😩
Original post by odera_dim
a=1
b=1
c=1

This was a nasty question and I'm not too sure about the answer but this is what I got 😩

Same, I got that too
Reply 31
^ I also got a,b,c all equal to 1
Reply 32
Original post by odera_dim
a=1
b=1
c=1

how did you do it?
it becomes 16+8(root2 +root3 +root6)/8 which equals 2 + root2 +root3 +root6
Original post by SeanFM
Here is a question for you to try :h:

A sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2,... a_0, a_1, a_2, ... is given by an+1=2an+64n a_{n+1} = 2a_{n} + 6 - 4n.

Given that a2=6a_2 = 6, find a1a_1 and a3a_3.

Hence find the value of i=110ai\sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i}.

Hence, or otherwise, find the value of i=010ai\sum_{i=0}^{10} a_{i}.

isnt this c2?
Original post by imran_
how did you do it?

As Zacken said you have to rationalise it twice First by root3 +root6 +1 and then by 2root3+2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imran_
how did you do it?

rationalise the denominator first by flipping the signs, you should come out with the denominator still being in surd form so rationalise again and simplify

I'm terrible at explaining btw 😭
Reply 37
Original post by imran_
how did you do it?

Rationalize the denominator the way you normally would, collect all like terms, then do it again, and simplify to be in terms of root 6, root 3 and root 2.
could someone provide a step by step with answers? ive tried how you said but must have completely messed up
could someone provide a step by step with answers? ive tried how you said but must have completely messed up

When you rationalised the first time what did you get for the denominator?

Quick Reply

Latest