Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying up the night before an exam or sleep? (Need advice really important) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well the past month I've been studying for my Economics AS Exam mainly.

Issue is this week I did not get too much revision done due to some things in life arising meaning I still need to finish making notes/covering the other half of the unit again for revision but I am really short on time and at this rate I'd have enough to do the notes but not be able to go through them or put them to trial with a paper.

I'm prescribed Ritalin for my focus issues and was wondering if binging on that to stay awake and study and hit papers all night then to go to my exam in the morning would be a good or bad thing to do? I know sleep would be a good route but if I do I won't be able to cover everything or test and I really need to pass this and I'm panicking really bad on what to do, I really need to pass this or its just going to cause issues with family.

I have been putting in time, it just wasn't as effective as it needed to be and today is my last day, I've been hitting it for the past 4 hours but its looking like its going to take another 8-9 hours worth.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Krizex)
    Well the past month I've been studying for my Economics AS Exam mainly.

Issue is this week I did not get too much revision done due to some things in life arising meaning I still need to finish making notes/covering the other half of the unit again for revision but I am really short on time and at this rate I'd have enough to do the notes but not be able to go through them or put them to trial with a paper.

I'm prescribed Ritalin for my focus issues and was wondering if binging on that to stay awake and study and hit papers all night then to go to my exam in the morning would be a good or bad thing to do? I know sleep would be a good route but if I do I won't be able to cover everything or test and I really need to pass this and I'm panicking really bad on what to do, I really need to pass this or its just going to cause issues with family.

I have been putting in time, it just wasn't as effective as it needed to be and today is my last day, I've been hitting it for the past 4 hours but its looking like its going to take another 8-9 hours worth.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Bad thing to do, its a possibility an overdose of ritalin would make you very unwell and if your brain is tired from a lack of sleep you arent going to articulate your answers well.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You need to sleep

ReputationRep:
    health is always more important than exams.

ReputationRep:
    Take caffeine instead and have small power naps during the night

ReputationRep:
    SLEEP

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sleep. Work for as long as you're able to (but don't stay up past midnight) then get some sleep. You need sleep, you can always wake up early e.g. 5AM and do more revision. But try to get at least 5 hours of sleep (ideally more, but get SOME at least). You're much less likely to perform well when tired (even if you're tired due to spending the whole night cramming). Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Bad thing to do, its a possibility an overdose of ritalin would make you very unwell and if your brain is tired from a lack of sleep you arent going to articulate your answers well.
    I won't overdose, I got it split out and with the redosings I'd throughout the night be taking a safe amount. Yeah, its just I was thinking since its a stimulant I wouldn't feel as tired.

ReputationRep:
    Goto sleep man like you need more than four hours five minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria98)
    Definitely sleep. Work for as long as you're able to (but don't stay up past midnight) then get some sleep. You need sleep, you can always wake up early e.g. 5AM and do more revision. But try to get at least 5 hours of sleep (ideally more, but get SOME at least). You're much less likely to perform well when tired (even if you're tired due to spending the whole night cramming). Good luck
    Thanks for the advice, its just I really cant sleep while im in this state of panic. And even now in the panicking I've wasted 2 hours and now its just getting slimmer and slimmer if I sleep as I wont have enough time

ReputationRep:
    Obviously sleep is required but tbh AS's are exams that your whole life depends on. I know you can feel sick and **** but this is exams. In the end you do not want to get a bad grade because you wanted '30min of sleep'. I mean it sounds wrong, but I trust you know what I mean!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I won't overdose, I got it split out and with the redosings I'd throughout the night be taking a safe amount. Yeah, its just I was thinking since its a stimulant I wouldn't feel as tired.
    Splitting any controlled drug into not your normal dosage times could have any untold effect on your brain (seriously read the leaflet that comes with your medication, its not one you should be messing with). I know its not the same as caffeine, but it could be like that in the sense of you'd be awake but it doesnt mean your brains processing information normally.
    If i have a bad nights sleep or none at all my dyslexic and dyspraxic symptoms get much worse and although caffiene wakes me up my processing speed certainly is much worse than normal.
    I think its an incredibly bad idea to mess with your brain in that way when you have an exam.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that sleep is important but I really need to revise so I'm staying as late as my body lets me before falling asleep tonight and napping tomorrow before the exam, which thank God is at 1:30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Splitting any controlled drug into not your normal dosage times could have any untold effect on your brain (seriously read the leaflet that comes with your medication, its not one you should be messing with). I know its not the same as caffeine, but it could be like that in the sense of you'd be awake but it doesnt mean your brains processing information normally.
    If i have a bad nights sleep or none at all my dyslexic and dyspraxic symptoms get much worse and although caffiene wakes me up my processing speed certainly is much worse than normal.
    I think its an incredibly bad idea to mess with your brain in that way when you have an exam.
    Yeah, its just I don't know what to do. Panicking has really cut my notes I've done today and I could sleep midnight to 4am I guess. or midnight to 3am.
    Issue is my notes will take another 3 hours to finish and I wont have time to put them in to an exam practice.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeah, its just I don't know what to do. Panicking has really cut my notes I've done today and I could sleep midnight to 4am I guess. or midnight to 3am.
    Issue is my notes will take another 3 hours to finish and I wont have time to put them in to an exam practice.
    what i would do is just focus on going over anything you feel is a very weak area.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it depends on the type of person you are. I have personally done an exam after having 2hrs of sleep and drinking red bull, however one of my uni flatmates tried the same thing and it completely backfired. From memory I remember doing past papers for my edexcel AS level economics exam and found that very similar questions came up in the exam so that might be useful for you. However it has been 3/4yrs since I did AS levels so the content and structure may have changed. Remember that you can always re take your exams in the worst case scenario

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nju)
    I think that it depends on the type of person you are. I have personally done an exam after having 2hrs of sleep and drinking red bull, however one of my uni flatmates tried the same thing and it completely backfired. From memory I remember doing past papers for my edexcel AS level economics exam and found that very similar questions came up in the exam so that might be useful for you. However it has been 3/4yrs since I did AS levels so the content and structure may have changed. Remember that you can always re take your exams in the worst case scenario
    Yeah man thanks for the advice!
    I've started going over a past paper and man I think I was worrying more than needed, I forgot that quite a bit of Economics has the whole common sense and just talking about what you can see on the extracts, done half the paper with little issues so far, I'll update with the second half when done

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.