Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,
    I need your advice please. Basically, my household income is upwards of 70k which means that I not eligible for a loan. My parents are refusing to give any financial help towards any uni cost (E.g. course, accommodation, food etc) and I have no money. I am in year 12, almost year 13 and was wondering if I got a part time job now and through uni whether I could pay my way through ? It seems impossible based on my calculations.
    Without no loan, savings or parental help can I afford uni ? It does bother me because I don't then see the point in continuing next year as A Levels are mainly valuable for universities. I really want to go, my targets are AAB and I want to study geography to become a teacher, but I must go uni if i want to go for that pathway.
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thank you in advance,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hi TSR,
    I need your advice please. Basically, my household income is upwards of 70k which means that I not eligible for a loan. My parents are refusing to give any financial help towards any uni cost (E.g. course, accommodation, food etc) and I have no money. I am in year 12, almost year 13 and was wondering if I got a part time job now and through uni whether I could pay my way through ? It seems impossible based on my calculations.
    Without no loan, savings or parental help can I afford uni ? It does bother me because I don't then see the point in continuing next year as A Levels are mainly valuable for universities. I really want to go, my targets are AAB and I want to study geography to become a teacher, but I must go uni if i want to go for that pathway.
    Thank you in advance,
    Lee
    You're not eligible for anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You're not eligible for anything?
    Nope, I phoned student finance up about this and they said if i'm lucky I may get up to 15% of my course available as a loan
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hi TSR,
    Thank you in advance,
    Lee
    With your parents income you would get £3821 a year and a tution fee loan. Now it depends on where you would want to study, but i recon you would need between an extra £3000 to £5000 a year (the upper would be for more expensive cities).
    If you choose university wisely where the living costs are lower, then if you were to work full time on minimum wage for a year during a gap year you could have around 10k in savings which would just about last to supplement the loan for 3 years with maybe some part time hours whilst you're there or using your overdraft to be safe. Or i suppose part time hours now and whilst you are there (assuming you could do at least 12 hours a week) would just about be liveable).
    You say you recon you might get ABB or higher, if so some universities can offer various achievement bursaries, it wouldn't be more than say £2000 but every little helps.

So basically it wont be impossible but you will definitely need to work part time and be savvy when it comes to picking a university city with affordable accomodation and decent student job opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    With your parents income you would get £3821 a year and a tution fee loan. Now it depends on where you would want to study, but i recon you would need between an extra £3000 to £5000 a year (the upper would be for more expensive cities).
    If you choose university wisely where the living costs are lower, then if you were to work full time on minimum wage for a year during a gap year you could have around 10k in savings which would just about last to supplement the loan for 3 years with maybe some part time hours whilst you're there or using your overdraft to be safe. Or i suppose part time hours now and whilst you are there (assuming you could do at least 12 hours a week) would just about be liveable).
    You say you recon you might get ABB or higher, if so some universities can offer various achievement bursaries, it wouldn't be more than say £2000 but every little helps.

So basically it wont be impossible but you will definitely need to work part time and be savvy when it comes to picking a university city with affordable accomodation and decent student job opportunities.
    You are a lifesaver ! I thank you so much for detailed reply, very helpful.
    Have a nice evening,
    Lee
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You are a lifesaver ! I thank you so much for detailed reply, very helpful.
    Have a nice evening,
    Lee
    I'm very glad to be of help Once you have a better idea where you might want to study, start looking into scholarships and the cheaper places to live early and i recon you'll find a way to make it work worst case scenario, you can get overdrafts of around 1.5k in 1st year if you cant find part time work initially.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.