Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hello, my landlady is trying to charge me rent from the 1st of September when move in on the 9th. I lived in the house this year and I am moving out for the summer too then return for the 9th sept, can she charge me for those 8 days which I am not even in that room for?

    There is nothing about this in my contract (as of September i will not have an up to date contract either because she hasn't given any of the 10 new housemates contracts for this year)
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Your old contract will have lapsed.

    She can charge you from the 1st if you agree from the 1st. If you disagree then she can say you have no agreement.

    What you really need to do is to talk to her and agree when the contract starts and ends, Then you know where you stand. If you want it to start on the 9th tell her so and she can either refuse to let to you or decide to increase your rent by 8/365 to make up for it. She decides the terms and you can either negotiate, refuse or look elsewehere.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

    Accommodation profiles:

    Downing Students

    Universal Student Living

    “Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

    Prodigy Living

    Prodigy Living

    Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

    iQ Student Accommodation

    iQ Student Accommodation

    Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

    X1 Lettings

    X1 Lettings

    Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

    Collegiate Accommodation

    Collegiate Accommodation

    "This is student living. Just better."

    Scape Student Living

    Study Inn

    Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

    The Student Housing Company

    The Student Housing Company

    Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


    Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

    Quick link:

    Unanswered student accommodation threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.