Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463338457.650912.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  63.0 KB

As you can see I got this question wrong and indices laws always confuse me. In the context of this question, how do you know when to add or multiply the indices together?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463338457.650912.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  63.0 KB

As you can see I got this question wrong and indices laws always confuse me. In the context of this question, how do you know when to add or multiply the indices together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You add indices when you multiply two things together. e.g. (x^2)(x^3) = x^5

You multiply indices when you are raising something to a power, e.g. (x^3)^4 = x^{12}

ReputationRep:
    If the power is on the outside then you times the thing inside the bracket by itself the same number as the power, so for example (2x^3)^2 would become 4x^6 due to the 2 being squared and the 3 being multiplied by 2

or (2x^3)^3 would become 8x^9

However, in the case of something like 125 x 5^(0.5) it would become 5^3 x 5^(0/5), so that would become 5^(3+0.5) to become 5^(3.5)

I'm not great at explaining, but try these

12X^(4)Y^(2) x 2X^(2)Y^(3)

(12X^(4)Y^(2))^2

edit:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    You add indices when you multiply two things together. e.g. (x^2)(x^3) = x^5You multiply indices when you are raising something to a power, e.g. (x^3)^4 = x^{12}

nvrmind, the other guys is way simpler to understand

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here's a quick intuitive feel for a^x \times a^y = a^{x+y}.

I'll do it with a=3 here to make life simpler, but it works for any a:

\displaystyle 3^x = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x \, \text{times}} and 3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{y \, \text{times}}

So:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} 3^x \times 3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x \, \text{times}} \times \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{y \, \text{times}} = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x+y \, \text{times}}\end{equation*}

You now have a product of x 3's and y 3's and there are x+y threes being multiplied in total.

Hence 3^x \times 3^y = \underbrace{3 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 3}_{x+y\,\text{times}}\end{equat  ion*} = 3^{x+y} as expected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's a quick intuitive argument as to why (a^x)^y is a^{xy}, it'll use the other theorem we 'proved' above.

You're comfortable that a^x \times a^y = a^{x+y} now, I hope.

So, since: \displaystyle (a^x)^y = \underbrace{a^x \times a^x \times \cdots \times a^x}_{y \, \text{times}}

then we can simply add their powers:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} (a^x)^y = a^{\overbrace{x + x + \cdots + x}^{y \, \text{times}}} = a^{xy}\end{equation*}

Since \underbrace{x + x + \cdots + x}_{y \, \text{times}} (i.e: x added to itself y times) is just xy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, when you multiply two things, you add their powers. (if they are the same base). If you have a number to a power and raise it to another power then you multiply their powers.

But really, if you just sit down and read and understand the above, it should all make sense!

ReputationRep:
    16Characters.... C-rated Zacken Oh okay thanks, I understand it now in terms of bases

ReputationRep:
    16Characters.... C-rated Zacken Oh okay thanks, I understand it now in terms of bases
    No problem!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.