Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, how difficult is it to transfer between courses?

ReputationRep:
    That depends on your university, what you're doing and what you want to change to. Some seem quite relaxed about it, some I've heard it's really hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincent gallo)
    Generally speaking, how difficult is it to transfer between courses?
    have you started yet?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do French and Hispanic studiesat King's the other year (it's a good place for French and pretty hard to get into, not blowing my own trumpet or owt) and I decided I wanted to do Portuguese instead of French, so I emailed the admissions tutor in July the year I was going to go and asked to change, and a week later it was all done without me having to lift a finger. Not many people applied to do Portuguese though, and the tutor was especially nice, so I think it's down to what you've applied for, what you want to change to and if the uni's okay with it. It'll be a bit harder if you want to change to a completely unrelated subject though - I know quite a few people who have realised they've gone for the wrong course and had to sit out the first year and then change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    have you started yet?
    No I havent but I dont really want to have to take a year out. Im not certain that I want to switch courses but I would like to have the option. I realise I couldnt change to subjects like Medicine or Law but what about Architecture? I think Im well enough qualified.

ReputationRep:
    No I havent but I dont really want to have to take a year out. Im not certain that I want to switch courses but I would like to have the option. I realise I couldnt change to subjects like Medicine or Law but what about Architecture? I think Im well enough qualified.
    Contact the admissions department at the university you're hoping to go to and ask. That's what I did and I told them two courses I was thinking I'd prefer. They got people from those departments to contact me and I decided on one and that was basically it. If you have the right subjects and if the course isn't over subscribed, it should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    If you have the right subjects and if the course isn't over subscribed, it should be OK.
    I doubt theyd have any places left for clearing or whatever, but perhaps theyre not oversubscribed.

Hmm I only accepted the offer recently though. Wouldnt it be better to wait until Christmas? Otherwise Im worried it will look as if Im just trying to exploit the system. I dont mind having to go back into first year as long as Im guaranteed place. I dont want to risk taking year out.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I doubt theyd have any places left for clearing or whatever, but perhaps theyre not oversubscribed.

Hmm I only accepted the offer recently though. Wouldnt it be better to wait until Christmas? Otherwise Im worried it will look as if Im just trying to exploit the system. I dont mind having to go back into first year as long as Im guaranteed place. I dont want to risk taking year out.

Thanks for the advice
    You're starting this year right? If so, if you wait till Christmas it might mean you have to take a year out.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't change courses yet through the official channels, your best bet is to study availiable module options for both courses (the one you are on and the one you want to be on) and select mutal courses. This way if you do well enough inthe end of year exams, switching courses should just be a formality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    If you wait till Christmas it might mean you have to take a year out.
    Yeah but I wouldnt have to re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    If you can't change courses yet through the official channels, your best bet is to study availiable module options for both courses (the one you are on and the one you want to be on) and select mutal courses. This way if you do well enough inthe end of year exams, switching courses should just be a formality.
    This seems the most sensible approach. .

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.