This discussion is closed.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Speaker Election - Round 1
Following the Q&A session, we now move to the first round of voting for our next Speaker. Please cast your vote over the next 4 days - this first round of voting will decide the final two candidates who will continue to the second round.

mobbsy91
I won't ditch you like Ray did. I won't spel like hazzer. I won't lie as bad as Nigel. I'm not a virgin (line up ladies) and I can tie my own shoelaces. Shout out to my homeboy campaign manager JoeL1994.

For a fuhrer Speaker that will actually do something...
VOTE MOBBSY!!!!!!!

If you don't, I will probably bar you from the Bar.

Airmed

adam9317

Nigel Farage MEP

Saracen's Fez

Jammy Duel
This house needs a Speaker that I active, I therefore pledge that, assuming I am kept in office long enough, I will be active, on average, every other day rather than every third day.

We need an effective Speaker, therefore I shall ensure that in my absences that may last several months at a time the Deputy Speaker, or in their absence the Sergeant-at-Arms, will continue with updates, you wouldn't even know I was gone.

We need a Speaker that makes decisions, therefore when required to make a decision I shall take at most one day before coming out with it and not let myself be pushed around by the moaning of the former leader of UKIP.

We need a Speaker who will be rigorous. I am well known for being rigorous. I'm the best at rigour. I love rigour!

On a more serious note, if everybody else pulls out before I do, one of the first things I will do is push for the CT to send out a mass PM publicising the MhoC given the lack of mass PM for quite some time, and if the mass PM amendment is not passed, do the same after future elections.

I'll be less annoying as Speaker. Vote Jammy for less irritation. Let's make the MHoC great again!

P.S. I will build a wall to keep the r****tors out!

Aph

Re-open Nominations

Sunday 15th May – The returning officer will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.

Thursday 19th May – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.

Sunday 22nd May/ Wednesday 25th May/ Saturday 28th May - If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.

Tuesday 31st May - If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called the results are announced.[/b]

For reference I put the full rules in the spoiler below. Good luck to all!

Spoiler:
Show

1) A Speaker election can take place at any time.

2) It can be conducted by the outgoing Speaker, a Deputy Speaker or any member of the moderation/administration team.

3) The election process for a Speaker should last no more than 28 days.

Day 0 – Returning officer announces the election and asks for manifestos to be submitted to them.
Day 7 – Returning officer will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with manifestos.
Day 7 – Candidates for the position are questioned by MPs and members of the House of Commons
Day 10 – The returning officer will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.
Day 14 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.
Day 17/20/23 - If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.
Day 26 - If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called the results are announced.
4) The candidate with the highest number of votes will be elected as the new Speaker.

5) In the event there is a draw, All candidates will be outlined to the administration team and they will pick the next Speaker.

6) In the event no Speaker is elected due to Re-Open Nominations being elected a new election process will begin.

7) Speaker manifestos must be no more than 250 words on why they should be Speaker and what they plan to do with the house.

Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:eek:
Lime-man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's gonna be a vote for Fez, I'm trusting Lp's judgement on this one.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#FezWeCan and this time with no sarcasm.

(In case you're wondering why there's no good old Life_peer.)
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#FezWeCan
Imperion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#CanWeFez?
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Too many awful Fez puns put me off.

And of course Adam's intelligence and broad appeal.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
#CanWeFez?
#FezCanWee
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#HazzerWeCan Oh wait ..... #AdamWeCan
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hazzer1998)
#HazzerWeCan Oh wait ..... #AdamWeCan
What were you promised?
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
What were you promised?
250,000 Ugandan Dollars , a free trip to Indonesia and some form of arranged marriage .......
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hazzer1998)
250,000 Ugandan Dollars , a free trip to Indonesia and some form of arranged marriage .......
From an African prince?
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
From an African prince?
African Prince ? You Mean Rukirabasaija Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi ?
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#FezWeCan
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go on then...

#FezWeCan
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#votemobbsy
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
Too many awful Fez puns put me off.

And of course Adam's intelligence and broad appeal.
You voted for a Northern Irish unionist candidate? Are you ok
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
I think he meant that Adam's [low] intelligence and broad [negative] appeal put him off from supporting him.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think he meant that Adam's [low] intelligence and broad [negative] appeal put him off from supporting him.
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
I voted for an Irish person - his politics and location doesn't come into it () but he's smarter than the average unionist especially since he doesn't vote DUP and generally seems Speaker material with his ideas - there were so many decent candidates it eventually came down to what they thought of the CC
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What were you promised?
Great speakership!

Low intelligence; that's a low blow, especially coming from you my friend!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads