Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which city is better to live in for work, Northampton or Reading? Watch

It's a long story but I've essentially failed all three of my AS levels bio, chem and sociology (I was doing maths too but they made me drop that because they knew I was gonna fail). I've saved around £200 with me and will be leaving home soon, as I feel I've brought great shame to my family. I'm 18 and repeating AS again.
    Anyway I've decided to work as a kitchen porter and I know a place where I can work in either Northampton or Reading.
    Which city has better living costs and and a higher stand of living?

ReputationRep:
    Northampton will be much cheaper but a monumental dive. Reading could be ok.

(Original post by Zarek)
    Northampton will be much cheaper but a monumental dive. Reading could be ok.
    Ok thanks a lot man

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok thanks a lot man
    What do you mean by monumental dive?

ReputationRep:
    Northampton is a pretty dismal place, honestly, go to Reading,

ReputationRep:
    Aside from your main question, if I could also comment on the background, having myself failed A levels. Academic difficulty at some stage is common, I saw some of my friends hit it at uni, while I had come though it by then. I think fine to indulge in some head clearing activity but also to remember that family are their to stand by you through difficulties, and probably will, and at some point the thing to do will be to get a plan for a rewarding career.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Northampton; go to Reading.

ReputationRep:
    Reading has Crossrail coming which is likely to increase it as a desirable place to live and therefore will increase both job prospects and rents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's a long story but I've essentially failed all three of my AS levels bio, chem and sociology (I was doing maths too but they made me drop that because they knew I was gonna fail). I've saved around £200 with me and will be leaving home soon, as I feel I've brought great shame to my family. I'm 18 and repeating AS again.
    Anyway I've decided to work as a kitchen porter and I know a place where I can work in either Northampton or Reading.
    Which city has better living costs and and a higher stand of living?
    Sorry to hear of your disappointing exam results. It sounds like you may be overreacting to them.

I don't know Reading, but I strongly suspect Northampton would be cheaper. I didn't find it particularly attractive, but it depends what you are interested in and how you like to live. Reading would have the advantage, for me, of proximity to London.

Don't rule out a reconciliation with your family. It's tough moving away from your home and supporting yourself.

(Original post by Davide_online)
    Sorry to hear of your disappointing exam results. It sounds like you may be overreacting to them.

I don't know Reading, but I strongly suspect Northampton would be cheaper. I didn't find it particularly attractive, but it depends what you are interested in and how you like to live. Reading would have the advantage, for me, of proximity to London.

Don't rule out a reconciliation with your family. It's tough moving away from your home and supporting yourself.
    I've also researched that Northampton has a vue cinema which I like to go to, so I might go there

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.