Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a dream to go university and become a nurse. I'm a caring person and do what the teacher says. I go to a good college and they provide good placements etc. But there is a problem, I'm shy with people I don't know which is not good as to be a nurse, I need to be approachable but I'm also the one when I know you then I'm confident. Any tips to boost my confidence?

ReputationRep:
    Getting confidence is definitely challenging and it certainly took me a few years. I would strongly recommend that you maybe do some activities outside of college, possibly getting a part-time retail job where you will have face-to-face customer interaction or since you're interested in becoming a Nurse, have you considered joining St John Ambulance as a cadet? Joining St John Ambulance helped me a lot with my communication and confidence skills. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipjolt)
    I have a dream to go university and become a nurse. I'm a caring person and do what the teacher says. I go to a good college and they provide good placements etc. But there is a problem, I'm shy with people I don't know which is not good as to be a nurse, I need to be approachable but I'm also the one when I know you then I'm confident. Any tips to boost my confidence?
    Do you have a part-time job by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    practice, getting a job or relevant experience will help a lot... it takes some practice to get used to interacting with vulnerable people but even someone very shy can get used to it

ReputationRep:
    Literally fake it until you make it. Faking confidence will help you become more confident.

Try and do things that put you out of your comfort zone - I used to be incredibly unconfident and was worried about going into shops on my own lmao but yano i started doing more and more things such as going into shops, then going to the cinema alone, then going to a different city on my own (next goal = another country!!) and so on just to try and break through in terms of confidence.

But faking it will get you unbelievably far

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like that- still sort of am

But i really broke out my shell when i was pushed to do things that i wouldn't before.

I was nominated for head girl, sowas literally forced to do public speaking and campaigning.

I mean now that i think about it, whats the harm bin just being out there and talking to people?
    Its not like they are going to bite your head off or anything. And also, i agree with tehe comments above-fake it till you make it to the point where its the norm.
    And dont ever compare yourself to others( i used to do this alot but do i dont care what others really think of me , i'm more comfortable to express myself as i am instead of changing to be something that i think everyone else wanst to see)

It might help to make a list of things that you are proud of or that are good about =yourself( this might mm=be hard at first but each time you head out or something maybe looking at i will give you that boost of confidence)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.