The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mo2351
In question 6 bi I thought it asked for total power and not average power so would it not be wrong to use V rms instead of the peak voltage ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same thing as I thought only the second power question asked for average power! I didn't finish the second one though as I ran out of time so I lost an easy 2 marks there and I also lost 4 marks on the one about 2 wires because I said they were in parallel and and calculated 299.8V or something like that.
Original post by tort 779
Calculating peak to peak voltage, which i believe was 650V

I got 651 because I didn't round when calculation the Vrms so will I get the marks?
230 x _/2 = 325.27
325.27 x 2 (peak to peak) = 650.5 so I rounded up to 651, is everyone saying I'll lose the mark for doing it more accurately?
Original post by ShenanigansTVLV
I got 651 because I didn't round when calculation the Vrms so will I get the marks?

Yeah probably they will allow 250/251 but 250 is preferable as all values are given to 2 s.f
230 x _/2 = 325.27
325.27 x 2 (peak to peak) = 650.5 so I rounded up to 651, is everyone saying I'll lose the mark for doing it more accurately?

No you will likely get the mark but again 250 is better as in the entire question everything they tell you is to 2 s.f
No you will likely get the mark but again 250 is better as in the entire question everything they tell you is to 2 s.f

Yeah, because they didn't specify to do it to a reasonable number of significant figures I put "To 3 S.F." in brackets as well :smile:
Alright so I see everyone mainly got 650V, 4400W and 228 ohms for the first few questions in 6.

But how the hell do you answer the last part? No one's even speaking about it lol. It's as if no one did it. I think I got 34W although my working out was bs so i think my answer is too. I litetally had no idea what i was doing

Also, I got 8800W for the first power question as I thought it asked for total power and not average power so you would have to use peak PD instead of Vrms? I swear I triple checked the question but obviously I could be wrong. I'm gutted because I only had 3 minutes left and rushed the "actual Vrms" question and accidentally put the two wires in parallel and I also didn't finish the 2nd power question as a result :/ So I've already definitely lost 6 marks so it would be gutting if I lost the others too and lost my A.
Original post by Lawliettt
Alright so I see everyone mainly got 650V, 4400W and 228 ohms for the first few questions in 6.

But how the hell do you answer the last part? No one's even speaking about it lol. It's as if no one did it. I think I got 34W although my working out was bs so i think my answer is too. I litetally had no idea what i was doing

The last bit was Vrms^2/R with Vrms and R for both the wires combined. I ran out of time to do it so am devastated that I probably lost my A I was resitting for.

I got 34.2W
Working:
Use current calculated in the part about resistors which was 19.02A
Then use I^2R (19.02)^2*0.0945
This gives P=34.2W
The last bit was Vrms^2/R with Vrms and R for both the wires combined. I ran out of time to do it so am devastated that I probably lost my A I was resitting for.

But the voltage in the 2 wires wouldn't have been equal to the given Vrms. Otherwise you'd be doing something like 230^2/(0.015*3.15*2). That answer looks collosal lol. It implies more power was used in the wires than the heating element

I got 34.2W
Working:
Use current calculated in the part about resistors which was 19.02A
Then use I^2R (19.02)^2*0.0945
This gives P=34.2W

You make it look so simple lol. i got that answer but without current somehow. I think i just worked out the proportion of the total rms voltage used in the 2 wires then did v^2/r to get 34.2

It looks dodgy though.
(edited 7 years ago)
But the voltage in the 2 wires wouldn't have been equal to the given Vrms. Otherwise you'd be doing something like 230^2/(0.015*3.15*2). That answer looks collosal lol. It implies more power was used in the wires than the heating element

Sorry, I meant Vrms of just the wires so Total Vrms - Vrms of heating element = Vrms of 2 wires :smile:
Also, I got 8800W for the first power question as I thought it asked for total power and not average power so you would have to use peak PD instead of Vrms? I swear I triple checked the question but obviously I could be wrong. I'm gutted because I only had 3 minutes left and rushed the "actual Vrms" question and accidentally put the two wires in parallel and I also didn't finish the 2nd power question as a result :/ So I've already definitely lost 6 marks so it would be gutting if I lost the others too and lost my A.

I used 230V because thats the voltage that a dc power supply would give.
The heater cant work with ac (I believe) hence the heater has a method of converting the ac to dc. Therefore V across the heater should be the dc voltage produced by the ac supply, this is Vrms hence i used Vrms but i can be wrong
I used 230V because thats the voltage that a dc power supply would give.
The heater cant work with ac (I believe) hence the heater has a method of converting the ac to dc. Therefore V across the heater should be the dc voltage produced by the ac supply, this is Vrms hence i used Vrms but i can be wrong

But if something has a Vrms, doesn't it imply that it is from an A.C. current as the Vrms of an "AC" is the value of a DC that gives the same heating effect through the same resistor?
But if something has a Vrms, doesn't it imply that it is from an A.C. current as the Vrms of an "AC" is the value of a DC that gives the same heating effect through the same resistor?

I think it said in the question that it was AC hence the question about the peak to peak voltage?
Original post by txnilxnur
But a photon isn't a particle! And it said X was a particle I'm sure

Actually a photon IS a particle, a particle of light; due to the wave-particle duality. But either way I don't think that a photon was a suitable answer for particle X.
Original post by shuu00
Actually a photon IS a particle, a particle of light; due to the wave-particle duality. But either way I don't think that a photon was a suitable answer for particle X.

Photon is the exchange particle (boson) for electromag interaction. I believe its not a suitable answer because a boson of electromag interaction cant be created in a weak interaction.
I think it said in the question that it was AC hence the question about the peak to peak voltage?

Yeah, so since it's AC then the total power would be equal to the peak voltage^2/resistance. Therefore, 325^2/12 = 8800W?
Original post by shuu00

Realistically, a photon could be correct but AQA like to ask ambiguous questions with a variety of possible answers and then only give the marks for a specific one they choose.
Reply 499
Original post by dont leave blank
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464119133.125621.jpg

I think they'd expect something like this..but forgot to do the data logger..

Posted from TSR Mobile
is that the exam paper?

Quick Reply

Latest