The Student Room Group

becoming an Advanced Nurse practitioner

hello everyone , I am due to start my Adult nursing training in Sept . I would like to become an Advanced nurse practitioner later in my career but in order for this to be possible please may I have some advice on the courses, qualifications and experience that I may need to get there . I have done some research , looked at different post graduate course etc , but it would be nice to hear from people who aspire to be that or have more experience in the nursing field and have info they may wish to share etc other than just browsing course overviews for different universities .
Original post by pearsonitis
hello everyone , I am due to start my Adult nursing training in Sept . I would like to become an Advanced nurse practitioner later in my career but in order for this to be possible please may I have some advice on the courses, qualifications and experience that I may need to get there . I have done some research , looked at different post graduate course etc , but it would be nice to hear from people who aspire to be that or have more experience in the nursing field and have info they may wish to share etc other than just browsing course overviews for different universities .

What area do you want to work in? In the end, it can take some time to get the relevant experience and qualifications to become an ANP, while its nice to have a long term goal, it'll vary on what courses you'll need depending on where you end up working, it might be wiser to look at short term goals. There's no specific path that leads to advanced practice, a lot if people who've got there have done it based on several different courses and uni modules cobbled together. There are advanced practice masters courses out there now though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
What area do you want to work in? In the end, it can take some time to get the relevant experience and qualifications to become an ANP, while its nice to have a long term goal, it'll vary on what courses you'll need depending on where you end up working, it might be wiser to look at short term goals. There's no specific path that leads to advanced practice, a lot if people who've got there have done it based on several different courses and uni modules cobbled together. There are advanced practice masters courses out there now though.

I would like to work in the community or the GP practices or as a diabetic nurse, in general anything that involves working in the community practices. I do not really want to work in wards for a very long time , but it would be nice to gain experience . i hope that is a clearer picture .
Reply 3
Conduct a search on the NHS jobs website, download the person specification, that will tell you the essential/desirable skills/qualifications required. Additionally, you can search on Linkedin.

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/ed14b65198ac3a7b8cd59ae903c4840e/?vac_ref=914166535

https://gb.linkedin.com/title/advanced-nurse-practitioner

Good luck :smile:

I would like to work in the community or the GP practices or as a diabetic nurse, in general anything that involves working in the community practices. I do not really want to work in wards for a very long time , but it would be nice to gain experience . i hope that is a clearer picture .

I don't know that much about primary care tbh, if you want to be out in the community looking towards becoming and DN and doing the relevant post reg course to register as a DN would be the logical step to take first of all post qualification.

Out of curiosity, what puts you off about inpatient work?

Quick Reply

Latest