Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What happens if I get a part-time job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Me and My mum lives in a 3 bedroom house. She's is apparently 'unfit to work' and claims ESA. My mum always claims housing benefits and child benefits. As summer is approaching and I was wanted to get a job. My mum says if I get a job we'll have to move into a smaller house and she emotionally blackmails me.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what benefits would affect my mum??

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by louisepurple8)
    Hiya,
    Me and My mum lives in a 3 bedroom house. She's is apparently 'unfit to work' and claims ESA. My mum always claims housing benefits and child benefits. As summer is approaching and I was wanted to get a job. My mum says if I get a job we'll have to move into a smaller house and she emotionally blackmails me.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what benefits would affect my mum??

Thanks
    Your housing benefit and council tax benefit would decrease if you get a job, i think esa and child benefit wouldnt be effected.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? I think if it's a small part time job then you should be fine, especially if you're a full time student.
    My mum used to do the same but I got a job anyway, and our benefits are still intact, however you should check, try and call them up.
    I think there is a rule that if you do less than 24 hours of employment, then it doesn't affect housing benefits.
    I don't know about the unfit to work allowance, but let me tell you this. Getting a job will be one of the best thing you do, I got a small one and didn't have to ask money from my mum since I was 16 and I give her portion of my paycheck to help us out.

Just do the odd 8 ours on Saturdays, that shouldn't be a problem.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.