Federerr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why are reversible reactions both endothermic and exothermic? I can't grab hold of this concept.

Thanks.
Powersymphonia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Endotherimic means that a reaction between 2 or more substances 'takes in' thermal energy as the chemical reaction takes place.
Exothermic means that the reaction "gives out" thermal energy.
Thermal energy means heat.
Therefore a reversible reaction means that the reaction between the two or more chemicals both absorbs (takes in) and emits (gives out) heat. Reversible means that a reaction can do two things.
Dowel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Federerr)
Why are reversible reactions both endothermic and exothermic? I can't grab hold of this concept.

Thanks.
When a reaction is reversible it can go forwards and backwards. So if a forward reaction is endothermic the backward reaction MUST be endothermic because it is reversing the exothermic reaction.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Federerr)

Thanks.
In reversible reactions, both a forward and a back reaction exist. To let reactants react to a product (forward reaction), a certain amount of (thermal) energy has to be spent (endothermic reaction), after that the reactants beginning to react to the product. During and up to the end of this reaction, energy is released (exothermic reaction).

To get the reactants back by the product (back reaction), energy has to be spent again. Without that energy, the product cannot be 'divided' in the reactants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.6%
Uncertainty around my education (213)
15.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (152)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (193)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.31%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (78)
5.7%
Loneliness (123)
8.98%
Financial worries (47)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.6%
Exposure to negative news/social media (63)
4.6%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (125)
9.13%

Watched Threads