Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    everyone always says how you should definetely join a couple of societies, & was just wondering what the most popular ones are. i had a look at the union website with the list on, i'm going to struggle! i can join the geog soc but thats all i can see - i can't dance, dont do sport, am not political, religious or musical etc etc. why is there no football supporters society lol? (i'm not the kind of person who would set up a society before anyone says that). oh well perhaps i'll join the ballroom & latin dancing society and embarress myself in front of the world.
    what societies are other people planning on joining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    everyone always says how you should definetely join a couple of societies, & was just wondering what the most popular ones are. i had a look at the union website with the list on, i'm going to struggle! i can join the geog soc but thats all i can see - i can't dance, dont do sport, am not political, religious or musical etc etc. why is there no football supporters society lol? (i'm not the kind of person who would set up a society before anyone says that). oh well perhaps i'll join the ballroom & latin dancing society and embarress myself in front of the world.
    what societies are other people planning on joining?

That list on the Union website is definately a little outdated.

With regards your Football Supporters bit; Sheffield United FC have 3 or 4 Student for a Fiver matches throughout the season where we are given the entire upper tier of one of the stands, and this regularly sells out.

The Union also runs a "Give It A Go" programme throughout the academic year, where for a couple of quid each activity you can try some of the activities, such as paintballing, ballroom dancing, judo, ice-skating, skiing etc, before you join the society.

I tried the ice-hockey one which was quite fun, I didn't join up to the society as I couldn't afford the equipment needed, but just trying these things for an hour or two gives you a feel for it.

Would definately recommend trying the dry-ski slope.

Normally anyway, the Activities Bazaar and the Sports Bazaar are held on consecutive days in the Octogon Centre where everyone sets up a stall.

Not to be missed also during the first few weeks is the Freshers Fair (not as exclusive as it sounds!) where you'll be sure to pick up loads (and loads) of freebies - dependant on how sexually active you are, you can pick up a year supply of free condoms whilest you're there - either that or a couple of days worth at the other extreme !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    That list on the Union website is definately a little outdated.

With regards your Football Supporters bit; Sheffield United FC have 3 or 4 Student for a Fiver matches throughout the season where we are given the entire upper tier of one of the stands, and this regularly sells out.

The Union also runs a "Give It A Go" programme throughout the academic year, where for a couple of quid each activity you can try some of the activities, such as paintballing, ballroom dancing, judo, ice-skating, skiing etc, before you join the society.

I tried the ice-hockey one which was quite fun, I didn't join up to the society as I couldn't afford the equipment needed, but just trying these things for an hour or two gives you a feel for it.

Would definately recommend trying the dry-ski slope.

Normally anyway, the Activities Bazaar and the Sports Bazaar are held on consecutive days in the Octogon Centre where everyone sets up a stall.

Not to be missed also during the first few weeks is the Freshers Fair (not as exclusive as it sounds!) where you'll be sure to pick up loads (and loads) of freebies - dependant on how sexually active you are, you can pick up a year supply of free condoms whilest you're there - either that or a couple of days worth at the other extreme !
    thanks for the info. will definitely do the give it a go thing. paintballing sounds fun. i'm chuffed about the football too, was planning on going a couple of times for full price but won't need to now!

ReputationRep:
    I just had looked at the list... they even have (or had) a medieval renactment society! lol I think you'll be able to find something that suits you, it seems like they have something for everyone. :cool:

How many societies can you join realistically without it affecting your work/social life?

ReputationRep:
    So no 'Skulls' then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curiosity)
    So no 'Skulls' then?

I'm sure none of that goes on in Sheffield..

...or does it? lol

ReputationRep:
    What's 'Skulls'?

ReputationRep:
    Skull & Bones, a secret society at Yale Uni.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.