Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

so I've got my Airman test with the RAF in a couple of weeks. I've tried practice questions, done fine on all the areas accept the mathematical questions. Would this mean I'd fail on the main test overall? I only want to be RAF police which requires G in Maths. Maths was never my strong point at school and I left with an E . I'm a lot better at electronics and stuff. I hope i'll be able to make up for it somehow as I did get B, B, A in my A-levels and got a First in my Criminology Degree at Uni.

Also what should I wear? I have heard a suite which I have, but I often wear my tweed jacket, nice shirt and chinos to interviews.

Any help would be appreciated

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon Alex,

All you can do is your best! In terms of the arithmetic side of maths, if I was you I would start thinking mathematical in your daily activities between now and your test. What I mean by this for example is visiting the shop and buying items. Try and calculate the total value, maybe time yourself. There's plenty of videos which show you quick methods of addition/subtraction and multiplication/division so take a look!

In terms of what to wear I would go for a suit. Personally, I'd rather overdress than underdress, plus it takes some weight of your shoulders on the day.

I hope this has helped!

Jordan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crichton_123)
    Good afternoon Alex,

All you can do is your best! In terms of the arithmetic side of maths, if I was you I would start thinking mathematical in your daily activities between now and your test. What I mean by this for example is visiting the shop and buying items. Try and calculate the total value, maybe time yourself. There's plenty of videos which show you quick methods of addition/subtraction and multiplication/division so take a look!

In terms of what to wear I would go for a suit. Personally, I'd rather overdress than underdress, plus it takes some weight of your shoulders on the day.

I hope this has helped!

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

thank you very much I will bear all this in mind

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alex,

Apologies but I didn't answer your question in terms of if you fail the maths part do you fail the test overall. Unfortunately I don't have a right to say if it will or not as I haven't sat the test myself. Ask your local AFCO, they'll know for sure.

All I would say is make sure you have a positive approach to the maths section and don't get in a fluster. Believe in yourself!

Any more questions, you know where to ask.

Regards,

Jordan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.