Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wonder if anyone can help me...

I've been looking at living costs and speaking with my parents and I'm a bit worried about living costs. Whilst I know most universities offer bursaries I'm pretty sure my family isn't eligible for any ( joint wage of +42,000 which is the cut off for most, if not all, assistance ).

I may be able to afford a fair amount of first year if I save but I worry for the future where I'll be studying.

Any advice would be greatly received,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I wonder if anyone can help me...

I've been looking at living costs and speaking with my parents and I'm a bit worried about living costs. Whilst I know most universities offer bursaries I'm pretty sure my family isn't eligible for any ( joint wage of +42,000 which is the cut off for most, if not all, assistance ).

I may be able to afford a fair amount of first year if I save but I worry for the future where I'll be studying.

Any advice would be greatly received,

Everyone is entitled to a minimum SF Maintenance Loan, regardless of household income. You can get an idea of your entitlement by using the SF calculator:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-c...e-of-the-above

According to that, with a household income of £42000, studying outside London and not living at home, you would get £6198 a year under the current SF rules.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Everyone is entitled to a minimum SF Maintenance Loan, regardless of household income. You can get an idea of your entitlement by using the SF calculator:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-c...e-of-the-above

According to that, with a household income of £42000, studying outside London and not living at home, you would get £6198 a year under the current SF rules.
    Didn't know that, thanks for the reply! Do you know if you repay that loan under the same circumstances as a tuition fee loan ( that is when you start earning a certain amount )?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Didn't know that, thanks for the reply! Do you know if you repay that loan under the same circumstances as a tuition fee loan ( that is when you start earning a certain amount )?
    Yes. It's all considered part of the same single loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.