Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I missed the national 5 exam for French and I was wondering what happens now?
    Do I just get failed?
    Not really sure of the consequences of missing a national 5 exam.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Oh damn, that's a shame! I'm sorry about that. I just sat the Higher today, so I know what it was like at National 5. Did you miss it for a minor reason or a major reason? Because it all just depends, for example say a family member has died, they will let you appeal or if you've been seriously ill and have a Medical Certificate from your doctor, tiu can also appeal. However, if you were off because you were ill, e.g only had the cold or flu or because you slept in, then no they will automatically fail you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ireliamain)
    Hi

I missed the national 5 exam for French and I was wondering what happens now?
    Do I just get failed?
    Not really sure of the consequences of missing a national 5 exam.

Thanks.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you get a No Award, unless you missed it due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. Sickness, bereavement etc.) Why did you miss it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinky5885)
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you get a No Award, unless you missed it due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. Sickness, bereavement etc.) Why did you miss it?

Simply messed up and couldn't make it on time. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ireliamain)
    Simply messed up and couldn't make it on time. :/
    Oh that's such a shame, especially after working so hard all year. Don't worry about it now though. Just refocus for your next exam and learn from it. I'm sure you'll be super early for all the rest! Plus, if you've been doing well all year your teachers will know your capabilities and let you sit the higher, which would kind of cancel out the Nat 5 result. And if you're not taking it next year, I wouldn't worry either because most S4s (like myself) are forced to pick it and then don't ever need it again in their lives. I'm sure it still must suck though

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your schools SQA Co-ordinator to see what they can do in terms of exceptional circumstances. However if you just missed the exam by being unprepared (sleeping in, not knowing the right time, etc) then there's nothing they can do for you any more (after the changes in the results/circumstances services last year).
    Beyond talking to your schools co-ordinator there's nothing else you can do but focus on your next exam, just be on time for that one!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah not end of the world, either sit higher french/resit nat 5 french next year. Doubt unis will care too much, just don't miss higher exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.