Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the point where I'm beginning to think about my dissertation for next year and I'd just like to know how many references are required just so I can get a rough idea... how many did you guys use?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A good method is 1 reference per 100 words =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    A good method is 1 reference per 100 words =)
    Doing a thesis of 80,000 words would require you to have 800 references.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No one can give you a proper answer because it depends on the dissertation topic and the course you're doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    I'm at the point where I'm beginning to think about my dissertation for next year and I'd just like to know how many references are required just so I can get a rough idea... how many did you guys use?

Thanks
    As others have said, we can't really give you an answer as it will depend on the topic. For example, I did my dissertation in history, but an earlier time period (15th/16th century). Because of the nature of the topic, I actually only had a couple of primary sources, mostly manuscripts from the college archive and a few printed accounts. However, friends doing topics in modern history had a lot more primary sources than me: newspapers, images, government documents, etc. The topic I was working on hadn't been extensively investigated before, so there wasn't a huge amount of secondary literature either, while friends who did a Vietnam War topic were inundated with historiography. So when you compared our bibliographies, it might appear that they did a lot more than me, and that they did better. They didn't. A good-quality topic is one that is original, and it can't be measured by how many references you have at the end of the thesis.

So don't panic about it. Expect of course that you will have plenty of references (after all, there is usually *something* written about most undergraduate dissertation topics), but don't stress yourself out about a number.

ReputationRep:
    I did my dissertation in politics as an undergraduate - it was 10'000 words and used 45 references - 80% of it were books and maybe 20% of it journals.

But it all depends on your thesis, the availability of sources and many other factors. One example dissertation which was a first had about 33 references, another which was also a first I looked at had 91 references - but most/a lot of it it were links to websites.

Seriously, I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldve also asked this question last year (just finished uni) but once you get going the references will come naturally. And I wouldnt worry about the number of references - I did at first, but it mattered to me less as the argument you make is more important than number of sources.

ReputationRep:
    One reference for every 100 words as someone said, so e.g. 6,000 words - 60 references.

ReputationRep:
    depends on your course, how literature focussed your diss needs to be, what the topic is (i.e. will there be 5 big referenced or 20 small ones) etc

I think I used like 90 for 7,000 words but I've always gone quite reference heavy

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.