Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because of the reformed A Levels with no AS, does that mean that universities are going to be more picky with GCSE grades?? I don't want to be measured on my capability to balance a chemical equation for my intelligence when I want to go into languages/politics, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    I can only imagine so. GCSEs will be the only external exams taken when you apply for unis so they would focus more on that to make up for the absence of no AS grades. But I'm sure they'll take note of predicted A-level grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Because of the reformed A Levels with no AS, does that mean that universities are going to be more picky with GCSE grades?? I don't want to be measured on my capability to balance a chemical equation for my intelligence when I want to go into languages/politics, that's all.
    I think the reason why the government made those reforms was to put more stress on you as an individual so I think universities will focus more on what you have done inside and outside of school to show your interest in the subjects your doing and want to do.

But yes more stress on GCSE's too probably although I think Uni's realise that GCSE is not a good indicator of how well someone is going to do, they will care about English language and Maths if your not doing them at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dowel)
    I think the reason why the government made those reforms was to put more stress on you as an individual so I think universities will focus more on what you have done inside and outside of school to show your interest in the subjects your doing and want to do.

But yes more stress on GCSE's too probably although I think Uni's realise that GCSE is not a good indicator of how well someone is going to do, they will care about English language and Maths if your not doing them at A level
    Yes hopefully they don't care too much, I am predicted A* for English Language and A for Maths so I should be fine, I'm just super worried about sciences

ReputationRep:
    Yes hopefully they don't care too much, I am predicted A* for English Language and A for Maths so I should be fine, I'm just super worried about sciences
    The higher universities only really want a C in english language and a B in Maths so your easily above that. Sciences can't be focused on too much I don't think simply on the basis that the syllabus at A level is very different. Your predicted A level grades hold more weight.

ReputationRep:
    If you are worried about sciences I really cannot emphasise the use of past papers and the spec enough. I probably would have gotten a much worse grade if I hadn't used them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    If you are worried about sciences I really cannot emphasise the use of past papers and the spec enough. I probably would have gotten a much worse grade if I hadn't used them
    That's what I've been doing, I have done quite a few Biology past papers and a few Physics, but not many Chemistry, I have my Biology tomorrow where I can probably get an A/A* however I can't do Chemistry to save my life and I will definitely get a C, Physics is in between. The problem with Dual Science (it's also the great thing about Dual Science) is that they all affect the final grades, so I could end up with an AA, AB or BB.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It also puts more emphasis on your A level grades. It is the same for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I've been doing, I have done quite a few Biology past papers and a few Physics, but not many Chemistry, I have my Biology tomorrow where I can probably get an A/A* however I can't do Chemistry to save my life and I will definitely get a C, Physics is in between. The problem with Dual Science (it's also the great thing about Dual Science) is that they all affect the final grades, so I could end up with an AA, AB or BB.
    In that case, why not try myGCSEscience videos which I also found quite helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    In that case, why not try myGCSEscience videos which I also found quite helpful.
    Unfortunately MyGCSEScience is catered to AQA science and I do edexcel, I know they cover a lot of the same things but I don't really want to accidentally watch a video and revise from it if it's a topic we don't even do. I might use it for Physics and Chemistry though, on the topics I know we do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.