Turn on thread page Beta

What are salad onions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I always thought they were red onions but I was making a meal tonight and the recipe said use 4 salad onions, (but I only used 2). When I told my mum she said they were spring onions. Im so sure they are red onions. Im confused now :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    I always thought they were red onions but I was making a meal tonight and the recipe said use 4 salad onions, (but I only used 2). When I told my mum she said they were spring onions. Im so sure they are red onions. Im confused now :confused:
    They are spring onions, red onions are sometimes used in salads because they are colourful and milder than normal onions, and to further confuse you, you cab get red spring/salad onions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I thought they were red onions too, but does it really matter? Just stick whatever onion in

i think that they are red onions. im pretty sure...actually dont qoute me on that one

neha
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I love silverskin onions. Mmm, pickles. To answer your question I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I think you all need to look here: http://www.waitrose.com/frontend/pop...asp?uidstr=229
    there seems to be general misuse of salad onion to mean red onion but it really means spring onion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Look, this web page has an onion on it that's red and its called a salad onion so it must be true

http://www.veseys.com/store.cfm?product=1842
    and i've found one which contradicts it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god... Im even more confused now... :confused:
    Anyway, thanks for your posts, you are all so resourceful
    Im glad I only used 2, I have mingin onion breath. Imagine if I had used all 4 :eek:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Any onion you use in a salad is a salad onion

ReputationRep:
    I always considered spring onions to be salad onions.

ReputationRep:
    yes, and spring onions can also be called "scallions"

MB

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.